• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Those with 4inch lift

welpro222

Did you guys drop the transfer case like the instructions said? Is it needed?

I did with mine, but it seems to cause vibration drone at idle and the engine seems awful close to the firewall.

richingalveston

I did not drop mine, I clocked mine as high as it will go. I have a 5 inch lift. I changed the output yokes to fixed cv style.
If you do not drop the t-case then you most likely have to change the u-joint style. The reason for the drop is mostly to match the angles on each end of the driveshaft.
With cv style you do not have to do this.

With my t-case up all the way and a 5 inch lift, I had to grind the front cv joint a little to keep the joint from binding. This was only when the front tires were hanging in the air.
With a load on the springs it is not a problem.

Check your motor mounts. Changing the angle on old motor mounts can cause them to fail. This will give you more vibration.
Also make sure your exhaust is not laying against the frame or t-case anywhere. I have a hose clamp around the frame and exhaust on passenger side pulling my exhaust away from my t-case, just a temp fix until I change the exhaust.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, I did not.

tourus

the other thing you could do to straighten your drive shaft angle is to put small shims under springs to change the axle angle a little bit. I did on me years ago and never had an issue all that is needed is a few degrees. I left the transfer case alone.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yes I did, the drone at idle is your transmission filler tube making contact with the firewall, mine did the same thing. . .

brazengoat06

you never mentioned which cucv? I added a 4 inch to my m1010 and did not drop t-case. I only made very minor adjustments to the front drive shaft.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4" lift w/ skyjacker soft-rides, yeah, moved the xfer case spacers in the typical fashion. Seems OK to me.

86m1028

When you lower the t-case, all your doing is making the frt shaft angles WORSE.
Shim the rear axle IF it needs it.
Why spend money on the lift & short cut the driveshafts ?
Do it right or don't do it.

Btw my m1028A1 is lifted 6in frt, 7 & 1/2 rear.
I have a fixed yoke 205 & I shimmed the rear axle to correct pinion angles.

sweetk30

and the little tubes on the factory bolts are NOT to space the crossmember down . doing this over time will break the frame rail lips .

as said droping the t-case is a bandaid for the rear but kills the front .

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think thats right : don't lower it. Mine is already done, plan is to undo it when I switch over to a custom crossmember for the 203/205 xfer combo.

I just finished my ORD 4'' lift and I did not drop the transfer case. I had driveshaft vibrations so I used 6 degree shims to shim the rear diff DOWN to make the transfer case and diff on parallel planes. This solved my vibration issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks