• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tier Two Reset - exactly what do they do to the engine?

ctfjr

The mep-003a that I picked up at FT Meade a month ago has this tag on it that says:
Tier Two Reset by Letterkenny

What does that mean in so far as the engine / mechanical parts go? The control cabinet look brand new - no corroded wires / screws, meters all work & look fine. Yet the oil pressure switch was bad. Clock had 2 hours on it.

Do they do a top & bottom rebuild of the motor or just check to see if in specs? New paint could mean something or 'just new paint'.

ctfjr

Thanks for the quick reply WSUCOUGARX and the useful links. That doesn't really tell me what i want to know though (and maybe there isn't a definitive answer). If the genset was sent for a Teir Two Reset because of one issue - hours > 4000 or burnt generator - would they necessarily go over the entire unit?

Stonepicker1

TIER I is were they fix the small things(they should of fixed the oil pressure switch then)

Tier II is were they will swap out main items, like engines, generators, control box, fuel tank, ect...
2cents

Do you have updated data plates?

Any pictures. They could of just replaced the control box.

Isaac-1

In the case of the MEP-002 and MEP-003 when the bore is worn / pistons need to be replaced, they use press in sleeves and always use standard sized pistons, they do not bore them out and use oversized pistons. On the civilian version of the Onan DJE or DJF blocks the conventional approach is to use over sized pistons, I have been doing some research on this lately as I have a civilian DJE needing rebuild and over sized pistons for it are insanely expensive, so am considering going the press in sleeve option.

Ike

ctfjr

TIER I is were they fix the small things(they should of fixed the oil pressure switch then)

Tier II is were they will swap out main items, like engines, generators, control box, fuel tank, ect...
2cents

Do you have updated data plates?

Any pictures. They could of just replaced the control box.
Phil this is a 'phone pix' of the additional plate on the unit -

Attachments

ctfjr

Thanks for all the replies - I am going to try to call Letterkenny today.

I was looking for the engine sn and found this second tag. It appears to be from a sublet contractor, Melton (???). The serial numbers on the Letterkenny tier two tag and this Melton tag match. I am going to try to give them a call also.

Knowing the real condition of the set will probably determine how much $$$ I'm willing to throw at it if/when things come up.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks