• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Time to replace the doors....

Well, now both the driver's door and passenger side are dented pretty well, with the paint chipping off in places.

I think I've settled on getting new door shells from LMC Truck, instead of trying to pound/pull out the dents.

At the same time, I'm going to replace the hinges on the driver's door, the top has a good 1/4-3/8" of play in it, probably why the door sags to the rear and scrapes the edge in two places.

Of course, if I'm doing all that, might as well take the opportunity to get some new rubber seals on the windows (they leak), and I was going to change the color to tan anyway... it never ends.

Attachments

hippiedude

Just make sure you check the cab mounts & the door post !!! Make sure everything is good and solid so the door hang square.........New doors make a Big differance.... :beer:

Armada

If it were me, I would repair the doors you have on the truck if they are just dented. They don't look to be rusty from what I can see. Any replacement steel you get is not going to be as good as the original, unless you get OEM. The foreign made panels are lighter gauge steel and you will have a tough time lining them up, latches, mounting points, body lines etc..

JB

You may be able to replace the bushings if they are the problem. (once the dents get pounded out) I have an LMC left door on my 84 M1009 & it fits OK but it still drags a little.

BKinzey

X2 on the used doors. They are readily available and cheap. Keep an eye on craigslist, ebay, these forums, etc. I paid $50 for two doors. Less $$$ and work than new skins. :D

Thanks all, based on your comments and a few experiences I've read, I'm going to keep these doors - they aren't showing any rust, just dents. If I can't get them straight enough (not interested in perfect), I'll make a trip to the junkyards.

Armada

You're doing the right thing by keeping them. A good bodyman can make them look new again reasonably cheap, and a set of hinge bushings will make them operate like new also.

acetomatoco

Remember if they look too good they will not be authentic military... take a look at some of the stuff still being used to get my gist....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks