• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Timkin axles on m35a2

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was under my m35a2 today and noticed it had Timkin axles. My m35a2c has Rockwell. When did they switch from Timkin to Rockwell?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Willard Rockwell bought Timken Detroit in 1953. In 1997 Rockwell International spun off the axle business as Meritor.

Now, are you sure your truck was built as a M35A2, or did the army repower a gasser?

Regards,
David

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
David, It's the same truck you and I have already talked about. I haven't been able to find a frame number on either side of the truck. This axle info is helping me figure out a little more about how old the truck really is. Dash info says it's a 1971 but we've already discovered that that's not right. Truck has gasser fenders and a m211 bed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try checking the left front frame rail in front of the steering box for the number

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, it's the first one that I got. Here's the info Medlog gave me.
" Here's what I got for you:
Organization: 690TH CHEMICAL COMPANY AL Army National Guard
Nomenclature: TRUCK CARGO 2-1/2T
Model: M35A2
NSN: 2320000771616
Serial Number: 52521986 Registration Number: 4H36071
Year of Mfg: 1971
Manufacturer: 65909 (cage code)
Usage Miles(when turned in): 12769
Trans Date: Nov 04 "

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
From our past correspondence, there are too many things wrong with your truck for the dash plate to be right. IF it were correct the number 0525-21986 would be stamped in the left frame rail under the front fender. If that number is not there, the data plates have been switched. Based on the axles and fenders, I am confident that the real VIN is only be five or six digits long, and may start with M. It could be on either the left OR the right frame rail, either forward or behind the centerline of the front axle.

Take a look at the thread about Maccus's M34 restoration and you'll see a good photo of the right frame rail VIN location. Some of them even have the manufacturing date stamped near the VIN.

Regards,
David

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ty, my 53 Stude has the number stamped in the left frame, in front of the steering box. The number on the stude is M30703 iirc

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everyone for the info. I'll check in front of the gearbox. Truck may be gone by the end of the week anyway. Guy came and looked at it today and said he would be back next weekend to get it. He's going to use it in the log woods so we made a deal where I could swap all the good sheet metal and bumper and such with my other truck because he don't care what it looks like. I'm keeping the bed also. I kind of hate to sell a truck like that to someone because if you've ever seen a truck that was used in logging you know what I mean. I need the cash though for other projects.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worries, the guy looking at my tractor wants to make a water truck out of if for his construction business. He plans on painting it yellow LOL. Like you said, I hate to see it fall to that demise but I need the money and no collectors are buying it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks