• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tipper closed cab

Scrambler

Hi again. We're busy with a CCKW Tipper and it has a closed cab and winch. Now somebody came by and said the closed cab never had a Tipper body in WW2; it should be constructed afterwards. is this right and where is the proof??

nattieleather

I'm not an expert on this, but I have been in the hobby for 28 years so IMHO only short wheel base trucks where made into dump trucks. Look at the M series the only dumps made in both 2.5 and 5 ton have been short wheel base. Therefore I would think that the same pattern was used before with WWII trucks. Hopefully others will chime in with better information.

nattieleather

Do you think your answer is meaningful? It's about the GMC CCKW, not the M trucks... ;)
All I'm saying is that the Army is really slow to make changes so if M serries dumps were short wheel base the history is there that the CCKWs would have also been short wheelbased. Not long wheel based like your truck. The Army has always been a if it works don't fix it kind of thinking.

Last edited:

AMGeneral

Well,with info gathered from Crimson's U.S. military wheeled vehicles,and David Doyle's Standard catalog of U.S. Military Vehicles,It would seem that with the exception of one or a few,ALL of the CCKW tippers/dumps were long wheel base.

The dump bodies were built by Gar Wood or Heil with a movable partition to restrict the load to the rearmost part of the bed.

It also states that the earliest models(prior to 1942) were built with closed cabs,changing to the military open cab after that point.

Evidently lessons learned from having a bed large enough to overload the chassis led to the later M series dumps being all short wheel base.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks