• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tips for buying off GovPlanet/IronPlanet?

tsk

I'd really like to pick up a HMMWV off GP. I've read through tons of threads (back at least 6 months) and searched but would like to make sure I'm not missing anything or see if anyone else has any nuggets of information. I know I've probably missed most of the peaches at this point, which is fine. I've been looking for a decent body that runs and makes a bit of a fun project.

First, sounds like you should look over every inch of the photos twice if you can't inspect in person (which seems unlikely for me).

It sounds like GP does their darndest to start the things right? So if you see what looks like a peach with just "a missing battery," chances are there is more wrong with it?

Has anyone had one picked up by the hauler off the site? I have read that scheduling an appt is sometimes hard, so how does that factor in if you're having it picked up for you and the 10 days you have to pick it up?

Are there any huge red flags I should know about? I guess also, what's scrap value on one of these things as a worst case scenario?

Thanks in advance

jrpontiac

I just picked mine up yesterday and am very happy with what I got. I was not able to inspect mine, I went off the website inspection/photos. It was accurate. I found one that ran with no obvious issues, I didn't want a non runner. I watched the auctions every week for a couple months to get an idea of the market. I found the pricing varies wildly from week to week, and even in the same day at the same location. For instance a Hmmvv that supposedly had 30k more miles, missing 3 doors and generally worse shape went for $3500 more than mine. I also noticed a lot of the buyers must not come through with payment because I've seen a few Hmmvv's sold multiple times. If you win one be patient about the wait time, my EUC took 90 days. When I went to pick mine up it was missing 3 of the 4 soft doors, the guy just robbed 3 (really nice) doors off another one sitting by, not sure if I had it hauled by someone else that would have been picked up on. The last buyers are going to get screwed in that deal.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scrap value is way down. To the point that I've got a bunch of steel tje scrappers just don't want.

Using GP'S shipper may be convenient but is almost certainly the most expensive option.

If a truck is missing parts, likely it's a truly dead truck. Do you cannibalize a runner or an easy fix for parts to use on other trucks? (No).

Do you recognize bumper markings to know where and likely how a truck was used?

Odometer readings are no indication of miles driven, or of lack of miles driven.

Can you differentiate a 6.2 from a 6.5 in a pic? How about a hydraulic winch from an electric winch?

When bidding, you're competing against MV experts, and against other neophytes. All it takes is two noobs bidding against each other to run a $3k parts truck up to $30k (I've seen this exact scenario).

Part of "winning" an auction is letting someone else have it when it goes beyond reasonable value....

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the plus side, you're not too terribly far from Sparta, which has a tendency to have good trucks. For recovery, take a flatbed and go get it yourself. This gives you the opportunity to refuse it if there's been substantial changes in the 4 months between winning your auction and getting your truck... (while you're patiently waiting for your EUC, GP may well be throwing your truck around with a forklift, and/or punching holes in it - ask me how I know!

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck. My experience was not too good. Not only did they not mention they had to start the vehicle with ether or that there is an injector pump leak leaving fuel in the valley, But I found why my transfer case is leaking. They didn't mention or show the exhaust took a hit bending the exhaust pipe, breaking an ear off the transfer case and the bolt that keeps it shut at that spot. So not only am I going to have to fix the injector leak, I'm going to have to replace the exhaust and at least the transfer case, case. Sour grapes here. While Jwade was great in dealing with a tax issue I had with my state needing a signed copy of the invoice, these non disclosed and not found items till after the dispute period is over will cost me another 3K at least. Not happy at all. Come to think of it 98G this might be forklift damage, not a hit in the pipe from the ground. No gotta be a hit on something, don't see how forks coulda got to the pipe. Mine came from Sparta.

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are s couple of great stickies in the HMMWV forum to read about parts, maintainance items and what not.

m715mike

I just picked mine up yesterday and am very happy with what I got. I was not able to inspect mine, I went off the website inspection/photos. It was accurate. I found one that ran with no obvious issues, I didn't want a non runner. I watched the auctions every week for a couple months to get an idea of the market. I found the pricing varies wildly from week to week, and even in the same day at the same location. For instance a Hmmvv that supposedly had 30k more miles, missing 3 doors and generally worse shape went for $3500 more than mine. I also noticed a lot of the buyers must not come through with payment because I've seen a few Hmmvv's sold multiple times. If you win one be patient about the wait time, my EUC took 90 days. When I went to pick mine up it was missing 3 of the 4 soft doors, the guy just robbed 3 (really nice) doors off another one sitting by, not sure if I had it hauled by someone else that would have been picked up on. The last buyers are going to get screwed in that deal.

There's some auction price data in this thread >>
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?130121-Closing-Auction-Prices-In-Review

Post #86 and Post #92 may be of interest.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the closing auction prices (for example the average or trend in a specific state for a specific truck). I'll try to answer questions the best I can.

tage

Good luck. My experience was not too good. Not only did they not mention they had to start the vehicle with ether or that there is an injector pump leak leaving fuel in the valley, But I found why my transfer case is leaking. They didn't mention or show the exhaust took a hit bending the exhaust pipe, breaking an ear off the transfer case and the bolt that keeps it shut at that spot. So not only am I going to have to fix the injector leak, I'm going to have to replace the exhaust and at least the transfer case, case. Sour grapes here. While Jwade was great in dealing with a tax issue I had with my state needing a signed copy of the invoice, these non disclosed and not found items till after the dispute period is over will cost me another 3K at least. Not happy at all. Come to think of it 98G this might be forklift damage, not a hit in the pipe from the ground. No gotta be a hit on something, don't see how forks coulda got to the pipe. Mine came from Sparta.
My experience is the same. Mine had a massive dented in oil pan, and dented passenger frame rail "lucky me these are actually in cheap surplus right now". Cracked crossovers that go between the frame rails that were all seen but excluded by the inspector to the point where the inspector would take a picture in a way that it was out of frame... The cracked frame parts where actually found during inspection at the NTC depot, and are clearly circled and arrowed with a white sharpie...
There's body damage that was hidden by the way pictures were taken so that the shadows would cover the dented fenders...
Glad to see i am not the only one who got shafted by GP. Paid premium, and was told to pound sand by the "ironclad assurance"...
Hopefully GP loses DRMO rolling stock with their title department's unscrupulous actions...

To the people on here who call me a bitter old man, I have bid/won on a lot of gp/IP/truck planet auctions. I still get burned on every auction, but one.... It's always the the same thing. They fail to take detailed pictures of obvious damage, and dubious title issues on normal road trucks...

Also, Last time I dealt with them I would get the run around from the two title departments. Texas, and Kalifornien... I would talk to manager one week, and the turn over is high. Next week that manager would not be there, and I would get the run around from clueless employees. This wouldn't be an issue if it didn't take hours to get through the hotline.... :deadhorse:
My 0.02 $

Last edited:

springbok

RULE NUMBER 1. Do not ever expect to get a HUMVEE from surplus that will be turnkey ready to go. Expect to drop around $1000 off the bat to get it to a stable point, more if it is not running...
Some people get lucky, some people get scrap, so it is a roll of the dice.
Expect the fact that you are buying both a "toy" and a project. There is always something to do on these...
Good luck and happy bidding..

Stonewall

The posts above explain the auction and condition of the vehicles pretty well. I have been involved in over a 1/2 dozen vehicle purchases, and thus far all have been very true to the auction description and condition. Look the details of the pictures and descriptions over very closely. As for pick up, I have found the people at the recovery sites to be very helpful. Contact them, discuss with them your specific needs or questions, and they tend to be very accommodating. For instance, in December I purchased 2 from a site and 1 more in January. I contacted the pick up site and ensured that it was o.k. to let the 2 early ones sit there until the third was ready. All were picked up at the same time.

TechEngr

Hello ALL,
I'm having challenges getting additional information from the Customer Care link at GovPlanet/IronPlanet/TruckPlanet. They told me the following: "Hello, Unfortunately there is option to do an on site option for this unit, you are able to bid based on the inspection report given and pictures. As well we don't provide location information until this item is bought and won. Best regards"
I don't like this answer and want to do my own inspection (or have a buddy do so for me). Has anyone has a similar experience and a work around? Thanks!

TechEngr

'm having challenges getting additional information from the Customer Care link at GovPlanet/IronPlanet/TruckPlanet. They told me the following: "Hello, Unfortunately there is option to do an on site option for this unit, you are able to bid based on the inspection report given and pictures. As well we don't provide location information until this item is bought and won. Best regards"
I don't like this answer and want to do my own inspection (or have a buddy do so for me). Has anyone has a similar experience and a work around? Thanks!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
'm having challenges getting additional information from the Customer Care link at GovPlanet/IronPlanet/TruckPlanet. They told me the following: "Hello, Unfortunately there is option to do an on site option for this unit, you are able to bid based on the inspection report given and pictures. As well we don't provide location information until this item is bought and won. Best regards"
The answer they gave you is their official answer: they don't want you to go look at it yourself or have a buddy do so. They won't even tell you where it is until you win it.

Unlike GL, GP intends for their online ad to be all the info you get to make bidding decisions.

Thus the premium for private sale trucks you can see and drive prior to purchase.

Last edited:

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say my result from auction were better than some. Notes stated it would crank but not start. Bid and won having only looked at pics, carefully. 4k. Shipped via Us of Freight for just over 1k. I replaced the mechanical fuel pump and put in new batteries. Fired right up. The front differential had a bad input bearing, replaced the diff. So in all, I have about a little over 6k in it including all the fees and taxes and repairs. Been running it around quite a bit, so I'd say I got lucky versus what others have received either from lack of really digging into the details offered or blatant misrepresentation by the auctioneer. I know my friend was pissed when he found out what I have in mine versus his. Titles, well that's another topic.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve bought more trucks then most people....lost count, I’ve had good luck, I’ve gotten Rome with a blown motor, body damage not pictured, they took care of the issues and I was happy.

tage

The answer they gave you is their official answer: they don't want you to go look at it yourself or have a buddy do so. They won't even tell you where it is until you win it.

Unlike GL, GP intends for their online ad to be all the info you get to make bidding decisions.

Thus the premium for private sale trucks you can see and drive prior to purchase.
aint that true. the local AFB has a once a week 2 hour window you can look at the trucks, and half the time the guy isn't even there for his "office hours". I suppose if you have a cac, or retired id you can go look at the trucks that are on posts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks