• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tips to strip the top battery brackets?

kallisti5

Anyone out there have tips to strip off the rubber / plastic coating on the top battery brackets on the M1009?
They're peeling + rusting at the edges. I'm swapping the batteries and wanted to take a quick crack at repainting the tops with self-etch and giving them a cheap rubber bed-liner coating.

The factory plastic / rubber coating is a pain to remove though.. it is *STUCK* where it's in good condition. Just threw some aircraft stripper on it in a test spot to see if that would soften it any.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have soaked a couple of sets in paint stripper using a disposable aluminum pan. It takes a couple of days to get it to soak in. After the majority of it was removed, I used a dental tool to pick the coating out of the interior corners prior to sandblasting and powder coating.

kallisti5

I have soaked a couple of sets in paint stripper using a disposable aluminum pan. It takes a couple of days to get it to soak in. After the majority of it was removed, I used a dental tool to pick the coating out of the interior corners prior to sandblasting and powder coating.
oof. ok. I was a bit naive thinking I could just peel + scrape it of it off and maybe torch any remaining bits. I'll plan to give them both a soak.

Keith_J

It crossed my mind to just throw it into a burn pile... it's not load bearing or anything. In theory I could quench it and sharpen it too :lol:
It isn't hardened, quenched or tempered. Low carbon steel. A regular fire should be fine. Watch your wind, the coating shouldn't be PVC but might have a urethane component..that could give rise to HCN..that is hydrogen cyanide..PVC creates COCl, dioxins and other nasties.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I burned off the rubbery/plastic coating on an M35A2 battery bracket in a fire. I tried sand blasting, but that didn't work so I went to fire. It burned off really well, but left crispy ash all over the steel and smelled terrible when burning - probably some carcinogens there so I left the area. I then very easily took off the crusty ash residue with a sandblaster. I then painted it with bedliner in a spray can. The final result was excellent. I then found and bought a stack of NOS battery brackets at a rally. I think I gave $10.00 for all 4 of the new brackets. The guy must have had around 100 or so. I wish I had found them before all the effort to resurrect the old one. I also sprayed bedliner on the battery bracket for my wife's Nissan Pathfinder. After ~10 years, the bedliner painted battery bracket on the M35A2 still looked like new and actually looked better than the NOS ones I bought.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks