• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Bounce...

badgerd

Electronic Jedi
Have you tried calling High Dust 4X4 in Norflok or 4Wheel Parts in Va Beach? Those are local off road shops, Hi Dust had a great rep 20 years ago before I moved north.
Both refused to do anything with “split rims” and won’t balance with the runflat installed. Supposedly there’s a truck shop that will do it but I can’t get them to answer the phone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had my alignment done at an industrial truck shop, as they were more comfortable with large split rims. Local garages that provide to Jeepers are not as equipped for heavy-AWD stuff like ours. Maybe a few calls to tractor-trailer servicers?
BDGR

badgerd

Electronic Jedi
I had my alignment done at an industrial truck shop, as they were more comfortable with large split rims. Local garages that provide to Jeepers are not as equipped for heavy-AWD stuff like ours. Maybe a few calls to tractor-trailer servicers?
BDGR
I found a small shop today that is willing to do it, they work on RVs and odd stuff. They can’t do it for 2 weeks (only open a couple hours a day because COVID), but that gives me time to check out some other things before taking it in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also ensure the shocks are not bad. [EDIT - I see you already replaced.}

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Fair enough, but similar enough as well for shops to shy away in my own experience.
BDGR

You say "SPLIT RIM" and old guys begin to shake... living facts and stories of rings flying thru the air, tearing a hole in the roof or worst, someone getting killed. (history for the newbies, not us old stinkers)

As for the HumV 2 piece, combat, double bead lock rim... Kid can't find it in the pricing book, what the heck is it off of? HumV... WOW. Looks like a lot of work, not set up to do it, won't fit machine... and don't forget to tell them there's another tire in the tire. LOL

Yes, Simple tire, serious business. Follow the rules / safety ALL the time. A lot of air in those fat tires to launch one to the moon.

I'am not crazy about the messing with HumV tires... But it is a part of the hobby. PITA for the first one. Now almost fun to see how quick to swap out a tire, fix a leak, save a buck, right back on the road.

Stay safe, know your rig, play by the rules, CAMO

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm glad I'm not totally losing my mind thinking there was something easy I was missing. All of the parts replaced were worn and ready for replacement, so I wasn't throwing parts at it, but beyond this I might be! I have a dial indiacator and will check the runout of the wheel on the hub and see how that looks then check the hub itself. When I did the spindle nut I checked the spindle for damage, but anything is possible with a 23 year old rig with only one year of history on it (previous owner inclueded some parts and replaced the IP, but thats all I know).

When I find my clamp pliers again I'll do the boots on the CV and inspect while it's out. I have checked the control arms for cracks/damage as well as the spring.

My last ditch will be to velcro a gopro somewhere to see what's actually happening... It only happens at speed so it'd be hilarious to stick my head under the truck going down the highway!
Ummm.. 1987,,, That would be a 33 year old rig, not 23 🤣

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ummm.. 1987,,, That would be a 33 year old rig, not 23 🤣
It’s that new math they’re teaching our kids in school. I before E except after 3, and stuff like that.

I blame Gloria Steinem, Jimmy Carter and those darned hippies. It also didn’t help when Bob Dylan went electric.

Last edited:

Thumper580

I took my M998 to a large 4x4 shop for a balance. I wanted weights attached to the wheel. He called and said the wheel/tire started to shake his balance machine so much he had to stop. Ended up putting beads in the tires. Not impressed so far with beads. Feels OK then next time I get a bad shake then it calms down. Two piece wheels blow.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Might try bubble balance. Cheap and easy. Sounds serious out of round??

Don't know what you have for tires BUT if surplus and OLD as found on surplus truck sold...anything could be wack. I see them sitting flat here in CA. Hot, cold, bone dry and age can't be good. Most 10 years plus old and that could be a law breaker on the hiway? Look at the pictures on the Planet site and one can see where they sat in the mud, flat. Air em up, move em out.

Very surprised they can sell them that way and it hasn't come back to bite them. Then again... it's a used car, CAMO

badgerd

Electronic Jedi
After my own attempt to align (which was close) I took it to a shop that would put it on the rack. An hour later and a little tweaking and toe is set properly AND the bounce has gone away (or 90%, the rest is tires and that's the next fight).

Drives much better than 3 weeks ago!

They checked the camber at the same time, +1 on the left side and 0 on the right, both front and back. No shims at all in the rear. Find that strange but thats another fight for another day.

Centramatics will go back on this week and see how that does while trying to get the time to get them balanced...

badgerd

Electronic Jedi
Might try bubble balance. Cheap and easy. Sounds serious out of round??

Don't know what you have for tires BUT if surplus and OLD as found on surplus truck sold...anything could be wack. I see them sitting flat here in CA. Hot, cold, bone dry and age can't be good. Most 10 years plus old and that could be a law breaker on the hiway? Look at the pictures on the Planet site and one can see where they sat in the mud, flat. Air em up, move em out.

Very surprised they can sell them that way and it hasn't come back to bite them. Then again... it's a used car, CAMO
Where can I find a bubble balancer that fits the 4 1/2” hub diameter of the HMMWV wheels? I have only found them with 4” max diameter. I’d love to DIY balance if I could WITHOUT centramatics...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks