• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire / Wheel balance ??

sermis

OK, I went to super singles on the deuce. I took a stock rim and added 3” to the outside of the rim to make a 10” rim. Spin balanced the rims and added weight, steel plate welded to the rim, to balance the rim. I Mounted Michelin 15.5 / 20’s with heavy tube and flap on the rims. Ran one wheel on the balancer and it is 24 to 30 ounces out of balance. Driving down the road you can really tell it is out of balance. I was thinking about Dyna Bead or Counter Act ceramic balance beads. Not sure it they will work being that far out of balance. I was talking to an old tire guy that suggested adding a quart of antifreeze to each tire. The principal of the beads is to distribute around the tire and load up where the weight for balance is needed. Drop back down on stop and then redistribute when you are moving again. Wouldn’t the liquid do the same thing? A lot cheaper than the beads.

M1075

You have mentioned various methods to help with dynamic balancing. I tried golf balls in my 15.5s. Seems to work okay, although I haven't put them on a balancer.

sermis

I am running tubes. I can't think of anything small enough to get inside the valve stem. The liquid idea seamed like it might have some possibility. A lot cheaper than the balance beads and it will do the same thing other than a mess if I have a flat, I don’t see any negatives. Kind of wanted to know if anyone else has tried it or has some other ideas on what will work. Other than a lot of stick on weights, I’m out of ideas.

M1075

Sorry, I forgot about the tubes. Many 4x4s run water in the tires to help balance and to add weight down low when offroad. Just how much is the question. You might try searching a forum like www.pirate4x4.com for answers and specifics. I don't think you would need much antifreeze in Temple, mostly water.

sermis

The tire guy suggested 1 quart per tire. 32 ounces. I have never run liquid in tires used on road. It does not get that cold here but I have had tractor tubes cut due to ice before.

devilman96

Liquid works... Mercury excels above anything else but its toxic so you really need to make up a rim mounted ring to put it in. You CAN just pour it in a tire or tube but yer not "supposed" to... Dyna beads are costly but are made to fit into a valve stem so you can get them in through a tube.

If you make another set do a static balance on the rim using weight taped to the rim, then weigh out a block and TACK WELD it to the wheel and do a dynamic balance test. (this is how we do motorcycle rims) That way you can knock the block off easily and add or remove weight. Once you've nailed the wheel then you can weld in your weight block, drill out 2 holes and spot weld through the holes to the wheel... That keeps the weighing the rod out and trying to guess welding weight added out of the picture... Then do a dynamic with the wheel and tire.

sermis

If I had some way to balance it here at the house I could. Right now I have to take it to a truck tire place; I will soon wear out my welcome. I know the rims are close but the tires are way out. The wheels still have the weld plate from the dish I cut out so it could be cut to balance.

Ken send me a list of the parts you need.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks