• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire & wheel swap

Logger75

I have a 900 series tractor we run it everyday moving trailers for my logging operation. I'd like to swap tires and wheels from 14.00 r20 singles to 11r24.5 duals, we had back tires off to put in new orings and valve stems the other day. Put a road truck wheel on the hub and it fits, can I put 10 11r24.5 tires and wheels on? Would i need new lugnuts? Always see 10r20 duals any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have a 900 series tractor we run it everyday moving trailers for my logging operation. I'd like to swap tires and wheels from 14.00 r20 singles to 11r24.5 duals, we had back tires off to put in new orings and valve stems the other day. Put a road truck wheel on the hub and it fits, can I put 10 11r24.5 tires and wheels on? Would i need new lugnuts? Always see 10r20 duals any help would be appreciated.
You can run any budd wheels single or duals. It doesn't matter.

You will need inner thimble nuts and outer nuts. These are common at any truck parts place. It will allow you to dual up the front as well if you wanted or run a 425 65 22.5 on the steer for a wider steer tire.

395 85R20s the military uses that is smaller than your 1400s are equal to a 12R24.5 so that would match on that. A 395 and 12R24.5.

I would keep a wide steer tire with the duals.

Another option is 1200R20s. Can be dualed. Much more aggressive Goodyear G272s are available and stock 20inch 5 ton split ring wheels are common and probably free. Plus the tires take a good bit more punishment in the woods. Colony tire in VA has the G272s on ebay. This will also allow a 395 on the front axle.

Logger75

You will need inner thimble nuts and outer nuts. These are common at any truck parts place. It will allow you to dual up the front as well if you wanted or run a 425 65 22.5 on the steer for a wider steer tire.

395 85R20s the military uses that is smaller than your 1400s are equal to a 12R24.5 so that would match on that. A 395 and 12R24.5.

Another option is 1200R20s. Can be dualed. Much more aggressive Goodyear G272s are available and stock 20inch 5 ton split ring wheels are common and probably free. Plus the tires take a good bit more punishment in the woods. Colony tire in VA has the G272s on ebay. This will also allow a 395 on the front axle.

Thanks for the help I have a pile of 24.5 steel wheels and a set of 425 wheels/tires for front appreciate the help.

fasttruck

The problem will be to get budd style stud or lug centered wheels. Almost every new truck these days comes with hub centered wheels and they do not interchange with the older stud centered variety. Check salvage yards, the supplies are drying up. I had to get an aluminum budd wheel for my civi tractor and it had to be special ordered. Nobody stocked them by 2016.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The problem will be to get budd style stud or lug centered wheels. Almost every new truck these days comes with hub centered wheels and they do not interchange with the older stud centered variety. Check salvage yards, the supplies are drying up. I had to get an aluminum budd wheel for my civi tractor and it had to be special ordered. Nobody stocked them by 2016.
Steel budd wheels in 22.5 and 24.5 are $100 ea new from truckpro, tag TX truck centers and most freightliner dealers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks