• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To MEP-016A-C or not to MEP-016A-C

ThomasUSA

Hi.. New here to your site...It is great to see people with experience with this generator.

I'm looking for a good generator and someone has a
MEP-016A-C locally. It's a Yanmar diesel and only shows 78 hours on the meter.

Are these good generators for emergency use or are they designed for a specific military use and not practical for home use?

What is a going price?

Are there problems I should look for that are common to this model of generator?

This looks like it takes more to connect this to your electrical appliances / system than a regular civilian generator. Is it fairly simple to set these up for home use?

Thank you in advance.. if there is anything I should be looking for, please advise..

Isaac-1

The generator you are referring to is a MEP-016D, these are MEP-016A/C's that are retrofitted with a Yanmar L70 engine, there is also a somewhat similar MEP-016E which is a MEP-016B Onan diesel refitted with an Yanmar L100 engine. I have a MEP-701a/MEP-016B it makes a good small generator for basic household backup (note I have gas heat, stove, etc.), it will run a refrigerator and freezer along with the blower for the gas heat and a few CF lights, tv, computer, etc, in the summer I can also run a couple of small window air conditioners. The Yanmar refit version of these is probably the most desirable version as parts are easily available and they get slightly better fuel economy than the Older Onan diesel, or the gasoline A/C versions.

Ike

p.s. going price varies, but I would say anything under $1,000 for a known running one in good condition is a deal, I paid $400 or so for my MEP-701a from GL a couple of years ago which of course was as is, just happened to be a runner.

Last edited:

ThomasUSA

Thank you for the quick reply.. I have been hesitant to get one of these because they are so foreign to me... I did find a manual in PDF form and now understand how they are set , so it does not seem so intimidating.

I think I'll head over and take a look tomorrow... If I can get it at a good price, it may be the best type of generator to have if the SHTF and the economy goes seriously south of where it is today..

Isaac-1

Be aware that these generators are heavy (not always a bad thing), the Yanmar's a bit lighter than the older engines, but probably still weigh in around 350+ pounds (my MEP-701a with the ASK housing weighs a bit over 500 pounds). Connection for a household transfer switch should be fairly easy, I would suggest wiring it in 120V only mode unless you have a specific need for 120/240V split phase, as I see it a 3KW generator is just too small to have to deal with load balancing in 120/240V mode.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be aware that these generators are heavy (not always a bad thing), the Yanmar's a bit lighter than the older engines, but probably still weigh in around 350+ pounds (my MEP-701a with the ASK housing weighs a bit over 500 pounds). Connection for a household transfer switch should be fairly easy, I would suggest wiring it in 120V only mode unless you have a specific need for 120/240V split phase, as I see it a 3KW generator is just too small to have to deal with load balancing in 120/240V mode.
Good point about the "120VAC only". Reason for my 10KW head failure is now heavily in favor of seriously unbalanced loading, which must have overheated the stator windings. The dirt and gravel inside the housing may have played a role, but it's now less likely, considering how we used it.

derf

A commercial version of a Yanmar powered 3kW portable generator would cost several thousand dollars and not be as well made as the MEPs. MEPs are generally rated low by the military. A 3kW MEP will run 4kW loads all day long. I consider the generators available at Home Depot and such to be disposable, short term machines. Most Diesel MEP gens will run several thousand hours and then it is economically feasible to rebuild them. My MEP-016D has a newer Yanmar L70 coupled to a gen head made in the 60s. The 016D is my favorite of the 3kW MEPs. I have two 701As that I'm selling and a few others around.

There is one major problem with MEP gens, though. They are addictive. Once you get one you will start to see all kinds of tan, camo, and olive drab equipment start to show up. You may be one of the lucky ones who are immune to the affliction, but if you aren't just remember: I warned you.

abh3

No, I beg to disagree. I found the main problem with my MEP-701a (016 in an enclosure) is the confounded 24v battery it requires. They seem to be difficult to find ("A what volt battery?") and impossible to purchase when you do find them, a 'battery store' lists them as available but declined to sell me one as they are "for military and L.E. sales only"! :cookoo: But I understand, it would be a disaster if our enemies discovered our secrets of 24v DC electrical systems...

So I run it with two regular 12v batteries in a series to protect national security, it's not portable like that but it weighs 500lbs so it's not portable anyway...

derf

PM sent. One of my 701s(016E) and my favorite 016D both have a handy dandy pull rope. Yanmar FTW.

pentland66

Hi guys just picked up a 16d with 4 hours on the clock. I mounted on wheels and rolled in to the shed,and hooked some flex pipe to the large muffler. I have been testing to see how hard it would start in cold weather. I have 50' 10g cored running in to the house with a 3 way is their a better way? and what type plug do I need to hook up the 24v starter.

derf

Prolly need a NATO cable end and cable. Or, you can get a 12V Yanmar starter or a starter off a Chinese Diesel gen (they use Yanmar clones). If your gen doesn't have a preheater I can sell you the one off my 016E. But, you'll need a 24V (or 12 if you rewire it, I think) battery to make the preheater work. It is a little block that goes behind the air filter and has heating elements in it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks