• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To Sand or Not To Sand

Dasgog

Hey Guys!

so long story short. I own 20 acres up in the “mountains” and there are only 2 ways in. The 10 mile long riverbed or the 1 mile dirt road from town. So last month someone bought property and would t you known it, that dirt road is on his property and he barricaded it. I went to the county etc, and because I don’t LIVE out there, he’s not obstructing my safety/passage. It is what it is.
My next route is from the north a 10 mile stretch of riverbed… it’s sandy obviously.
my 2021 gladiator jeep does it like butter.
My 1972 deuce “bobbed” (lighter?) and the massive tire upgrades (more surface?) and of course the switch a lever for 4x4 (plus I have lockers) is where I am at.
Is it advisable/safe to take this deuce that route or am I looking for trouble?
The guy at the shop has the per spec bumper and PTO wench etc but wants 3000 for me and I have to install it. I ain’t paying 3k for anything I have to install, so no.
Are there 3rd party high power suitable wrenches I can bolt on my front end and is battery driven (for now until I’m rich like a retired man and can buy all the toys I want) suitable?

or for now, should I not take it down the wash?

Dasgog

Hey there! In time when I can save the $$ I will definitely go for a legitimate Deuce wench/bumper but for now I don’t wanna not drive it cause I’m “waiting for that day”. Alright cool. I shall Give it a go next time I have the day or so to venture out there.

ty

Can’t imagine where there is better to live than Tucson other than Political reasons ;)

Dasgog

Curious. Can the Deuces PSI from Compressor fill up the tires or is it not strong enough? I wonder if they make a mini high compression air compressor I can take out with me and plug it into the power outlet I got.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious. Can the Deuces PSI from Compressor fill up the tires or is it not strong enough? I wonder if they make a mini high compression air compressor I can take out with me and plug it into the power outlet I got.
They make glad hand air hoses available at any truck stop for $50ish. The deuce compressor will do it, but it isn't particularly happy about it. The 939series 5ton does it with much more authority.

12V air compressors are cheap and readily available and can be clipped to just one battery intermittently for occasional use.

In your position, I'd probably get the glad hand hose and a clip on air chuck.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think your going to be very surprised at how good that deuce does in the sand. Around here we buy deuces and 5 tons specially for the sand and rarely get stuck unless we’re towing something really heavy. Like 98G says..if you start getting stuck immediately stop and air down. I run my 5 ton at 10–15 psi and pull a 15,000 pound trailer through some nasty sand.

KN6KXR

I have a bobbed deuce with ARB lockers front and rear, 395's and power steering. I run that thing through a lot of stuff (long as it'll fit). You need to:
-Air down the tires to at least 25psi maybe lower or you'll rattle the truck apart
-Add about 1500 pounds of ballast in the back to get traction (missing that rear axle setup is kind of a bummer in this respect)

That's about it. I do have an 18k electric winch but so far haven't had to pull myself out of anything. I need to buy some correct deflators for the tires that takes a lot of time. Airing up isn't too bad just hand throttle the motor up get the compressor humming along. I may add another air tank at some point just for this so I can fill it in anticipation of having to air up. I use the glad hand adapter and I also installed a quick connect in the passenger area of the cab where the stock line for an accessory is.

If you are looking for a winch I have a couple brand new MRAP winch kits. They have a WARN 18k 24VDC submersible industrial grade (with cable, roller fairlead, remote) and a 20 ton snatch block. Kits cost me $2500 but I would sell it less the snatch block for $2k. You would have to fab the bumper extender and base plate or get them from somebody like Boyce they know their stuff. I posted an ad for them some time ago in the classifieds here just haven't been motivated to bump it. ANYWAYS it will yank the front of my truck sideways with a fully loaded bed they are pretty bad ass. I had to buy a lot of 3 to get one which is why I have a couple....

Dasgog

I appreciate all the responses and offers. For now I just don’t have the $$ for anything decent what I think I may need to get, for even more uses than the Deuce, which is a nice battery operated air compressor .

Reactions: 98G

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I used to live in the southwest I would take my deuces through deep sand all the time. Like Elk1111 and 98G said air it down. With 395’s on my truck I would air down the fronts to 15 and the rears to 7 and pull a 30 foot RV through the deep sand, I had headlocks in the wheels. The air compressor worked fine for me pumping tires back up, just use the hand throttle to rev up the motor and have a bucket to sit on and sit and air them up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks