• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

to Turbo, or not to Turbo?

SEAFIRE

Got a pair of 1968 AM General M35A2's. The serial #'s on the trucks are 51 digits apart.

One of them has a LDT-465-1C, the other one has a LD-465-1C. The truck with the turbo engine was rebuilt by the DoD in the 80's, I can find no rebuild stamps on the non-turbo deuce.

Question:
Is it possible to convert the LD to a LDT?
We have spare turbo's, and a pair of spare LDT-465-1D's we can strip parts off of. We'd rather just convert to a turbo, than swap out engines. The LD is a good running engine with no leaks.

red devils dude

yes it's possible to convert the LD to a LDT and very easy but unless it's smokeing or you want to turn up the fuel
there's no real point to doing a conversion but just my .02

Wyattearp

SEAFIRE, if you have access to MV MAGAZINE, there is an article done by our very own Cranetruck on this conversion,, issue#94 page50...

FSBruva

Well, when you drop the pedal on an N/A deuce, you see all your precious unburnt diesel fuel being donated to the atmosphere as black smoke... that's no good. The conversion yields several pounds of boost that wouldn't otherwise be there, so my guess is it at least helps with fuel economy, and possibly helps with getting some more power.

Matt

SEAFIRE

Wyattearp,
I don't subscribe to MV magazine, and have never even seen a issue. I only recently started learning about Deuces due to my winning the election for fire chief. While I get my deuce fix playing with the dept Deuces, someday I would like to own my own.

We have two decent Diesel mechanics in the dept, but their knowledge of Deuces is kinda slim. We recently bought a engine gasket kit, 2 complete sets of filters, and a engine rebuild manual from Boyce equipment.

BTW, the gasket kit was made in 1968? how do I tell if it's the improved gasket set I keep hearing about?

We have a pair of spare engines, both of them LDT-465-1D's, one has a broken rod, and is our "parts" engine. The other one is in good shape and was rebuilt by the DoD in 1992.

We have 4 extra turbos, and can strip the manifolds off of our "parts" engine to convert the LD to a LDT.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We added a turbo (whistler) to my son's truck. No manifold switching necessary. The only thing different on manifolds is the adapter on the intake that has the heater in it. You need one for the turbo model to bolt onto the existing intake. It really is a case of adding the necessary parts. Since you have a turbo model, you can compare and easily see what needs to be done. The larger exhaust pipe typical of the turbo models is a good idea. We turned up the fuel also to take advantage of more air into the engine. We get smoke if we want it for power, but you control that with your foot and mind! The smoke clears to a haze after boost comes up. Fuel mileage is in the low 20's, again if you control your foot position. On the highway out from under a light Duramax and Power Strokes will recede into the rear distance when we give it all it has. It appears the natural motors have higher compression than the original turbo models, so you can take benefit of the boost by turning up fuel without sacrificing mileage if you use common sense on the throttle until you want to "smoke" somebody! Don't be afraid of the engine's durability. The same engine is used in White farm tractors, turned up and running hour after hour at high load levels with no problems. In short, we are very pleased with it.
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks