• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Todays pickup from Barstow

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Picked up my duece today! Being that I did not inspect before the auction, (last minute decision to bid), I was a little nervous thinking I might have bought a 13,000LB lawn ornament. Much to my surprise the truck is in really good shape, no body damage anywhere, no rust, all complete and it runs and drives perfect and the tool box is still locked, wonder what goodies are inside. There was also a little surprise when I looked underneath, AIR O MATIC POWER STEERING! Batteries were dead of course but I went prepared with extras. Gave it a once over, checked lug nuts, fluids and turned the exhaust facing the correct way, then inspected some of the many trucks that are there. All those M35A3's seemed to be off limits and looked like they still belonged to DRMO based on some signs I saw, I checked them out anyway then hit Route 66 back home. Drove through snow in the High Desert then rain by my place. Wouldnt you know it, I found a Volkswagen bus body mounted on I think a M29 weasel on the side of the road right near where the duece with blazer axles was (Palmdale, Ca), got a couple of pics. It actually seemed like a nice job pairing the 2 together. Heres a few pics of my trip, I was in a hurry so I couldnt get good pics but its better than nothing.

Attachments

chuck500cc

Nice truck and good score. The micro bus will just make hippies head explode. They wouldn't know weather to welcome you or consider you military scum. :lol:

Chuck XD Fan

JDToumanian

Cool!!! You drove within 3 miles of my house. Dave Walker told me that several of the latest bunch of Barstow deuces had the air-o-matic but also had ventilated blocks... glad yours was not one of them.

Jon

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats Devin! Looks like a clean ride. The tracked Dub is Ca licensed! Could it be street legal??!! So, since you have a nice fresh piece of gereen iron...or two, are you up to a desert trip? I feel another one comming on....after I get the airshift t-case in.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Jon, do you still live in Hesperia or did you move North? I cut across Pearblossom Highway to the 14 down to Santa Clarita, it was a beautiful drive. Will,l I am long overdue for a desert trip. After 10 years I am finally going to have a dayshift schedule (8-4) with weekends and holidays off (starting in Febuary) so no more missing out on the fun trips because of work. I guess the wife will have to drive the motorhome with the M105 and bikes and I'll drive the duece with the M1009 in tow. That VWeasel was parked in front of a used car lot but I didnt see a for sale sign on it. I saw a decent amount of dueces today with air o matic steering and machine gun rings, dont know if they are already sold or are coming up for auction, alot of blazers too. I was bummed I didnt have a reason to stop at Barstow truck and equipment today so I could get screwed again with broken promises and the great customer service that they provide :roll: .

Congrats on your new ride Devin! The truck looks great. You bought yours the way I did, sight unseen and hope for the best.
Wish I could have gone with you but I am still chasing the rising tide from rain here with sandbags.

I could not tell from the pics, does this one have a winch like your last deuce?

Power steering........wow. 8)

JDToumanian

Jon, do you still live in Hesperia or did you move North? I cut across Pearblossom Highway to the 14 down to Santa Clarita, it was a beautiful drive.
I'm still in Hesperia... so you probably weren't as close as I thought, I assumed you came up the 15... Still, I'm only about 6 miles from Palmdale Road.

My deuce should be back on the road with new tires within two weeks, I'm looking forward to driving it this year. A lot!

Jon

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yep has a winch. The power steering is definately nice, I think it has a leak though, I can hear alot of air escaping when I use it and the air pressure never seems to get above 90 psi, is that normal?. With it pouring outside , I just parked it yetsreday and havent gone back outside. Its forcasted to rain until Monday so my tinkering will have to wait, at least its finally here. Good luck with fighting back the water Gary, I see your getting the some of the heaviest rain in your area, it was a fun trip, sorry you couldnt make it. I think I got my buddy who helped me talked into a duece. He was wandering around like a kid in a candy store checking out all the green iron. My neighbors are probably freaking out right now. Got the blazer in the driveway, the trailer in the garage and the duece across the street. Im going to loan the trailer to my buddy who has property and wanted to buy one but can use mine for free in exchange for a parking spot then I can put the blazer in the garage and my house wont look so bad :lol: . Wifes not happy.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Nice score on the deuce! I like the VW "conversion van," too. It would have been even better if it had been one of the earlier vans with the "bikini" front and a canvas sun roof.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great score on the deuce.
Upgraded with winch & power steering and didn't have to pay delivery fees, that is more than a winner in the SS book.

Thanx again for checking on the items for me. [thumbzup]
Maybe this procurement will go more smoothly. aua

I also like the VW.
At least it is some sort of camo rather than hot pink or lime green.
Although I would like it that way as well.

Floyd

Devin: Congratulations on the super rig. All that rain you’re in is super snow up here in Wrightwood. I couldn’t even get the Jeep out. I guess I could have chained her up, but up to the waist in drifts and blowing snow just to go to the post office, I was thinking could wait. Wish I would have had that VW Bus. Glad to see you got the deuce home with out problems. Hope my M36 does the same.

Later, Floyd

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice score Devin.
We've got to hurry on the next desert rally. I'm about to get transfered and it may be Chicago!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks