• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

took delivery of my Iltis

davidkroberts

well i took delivery of my 1985 Bombardier Iltis Linesman model. Sorry I dont have any updated pics other than the auction photos....... because ive been driving the thing ALL DAY LONG!!!!!! I love this truck. its like driving a street legal Polaris Ranger that does 65mph. Its a bit loud but nowhere near the M35a2/Unimog 404 level. Very manuverable, sips fuel, good low end power, 4 door, rear locking diff, heaters come standard. The truck has M151ish independent suspension but seems much more stable than the ones ive been around.

If anyone was thinking about getting one I would recommend it.

Mine has had a rough life but ill get it turned around. I have a heater switch and/or fan and a 24v electric wiper to fix but im impressed overall. The linesman model doesnt have a rear seat installed so i added a aftermarket bench seat from Smittybuilt. It fits perfect and looks almost stock. I bought some jeep seat belts in OD green but they havent come in yet.

The Michelin tires were pretty weather checked and I dont feel good about rolling them everyday but the tire people said they would probably be fine..... but no ill get some more, they should be in tomorrow

Since this is my new daily driver im adding a keyed cutoff on the main power switch and will be replacing the clear vinyl windows. This is an oppressively ugly duckling that can actually perform.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, kinda ugly, but so what. Is it diesel? Were those originally a Volkswagen design? What does "linesman" mean?

davidkroberts

na this one is the 1.7 liter gasmotor very similar to the VW rabbit engine.

The linesman had ladder racks and reel spools and tool boxes in the back. It was made for repairing and installing communication and electrical lines as i understand it. Makes it a bit more rare

khbuss

back seat

What was involved in putting in the backseat how does this affect leg room how about a room behind the seats did anything have to be modified and will standard iltis back seats work

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks