• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Top Stack

Loose Deuce

Anyone have a old or rusted out top exaust stack they would get rid off ? Or know who sells used ones ? All I really need is about 2 or 3 inches of pipe with the flange, where the clamp goes on, I can weld a new pipe on it. I wanted a top stack with one of those flaper covers to keep rain out while its setting, and I didn't want to cut my original stack. :D

Another thing, when I crank up with some water in the exhaust, it splatters black smut on my truck and that crap is hard to wash off. I'm also thinking about that NAPA Muffler instilation too. :D

rizzo

I was at TSC and they have a bunch of round tractor mufflers that look like they would fit inside the exhaust stack. That is what I did to my 5 ton gasser to quiet it down

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check it out, I made this, I love the toubo sound, but the exhaust was way too loud. It still has that great turbo whistle, but the roar is tamed a bit. Dynaflex part numbers, tube connector, (where the clamp goes), 43-350. Tailpipe, (curved outlet, had to cut about 3" off the bottom), 25-35014. 18 inch long, 3 3/8 i.d. glass pack. don't have the p/n or mfg, but I can get it if needed, had it under my bench.

Last edited:

houdel

We are getting well off Loose Deuces' topic, but I recently put a 3-1/2" dia. Car Chemistry Collector Insert (designed for race/drag strip cars, inserts into the header collector to reduce exhaust noise) in my top stack, it made a significant improvement. I just bought a sound level meter, once I run some tests with and w/o the insert I'll post the results here.

Back to Loose Deuces' topic, a rain cap for his exhaust stack, I use a 2 liter plastic pop bottle with the neck cut off and place it upside down over the stack after it cools off. Neat part is that you don't even have to manually remove it, it is self ejecting on engine start! It also provides quite a thrill for unsuspecting bystanders when you start the Deuce if you didn't manually remove it (ask me how I know)! Cheaper than a cap flapper, depending on where you live can be free or cost you up to 10 cents and a little whittling with a pocket knife.

More important than the crud blown out of the stack with the rain water is what the rain water does to you J-pipe. Leave that stuff standing in your J-pipe long enough and it WILL rust through the bottom of the pipe, leading to an expensive and time consuming repair (again, ask me how I know)!

gbooth

WillWagner What is ID of the Muffler? If its to small wont it create to much back pressure?

Thinking out loud I like the look it has.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ID is 3 3/8 inch. It is a weld on, so there in an un welded seam on both ends that match up to the 3 1/2 inch exh. tubes mentioned above. Yes, we are getting a tad off the rain cap issue. Ya know, the rain caps rattle alot, especilly as they get older and loosen up. I know a few guys that have transfer trucks with open stacks, they just drill a 1/8 inch hole at the lowest part of the exh. piping, all the rain water just runs out the hole...don't think that will work for snow!