• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

torque rod

Superdave

I have acquired some torque rods to fit the 5 ton 800 series truck ( # 8728126 ) and wondered if they need replacing very often and are they readily available? what is the usual cost for one? I don't know too much about them and don't own a 5 ton, and thought I would ask here.

OSO

I have a 1953 IHC Bridge truck ,was looking at my torque rods yesterday they look like there about 54yrs old some rubber starting to poke away from the bushing housing. I don't my part# as of yet I'll check on my part # . Post you when I find out.OSO

m139h2otruck

Note that the bridge trucks (M139/328) have a longer (wider) tandem spacing than the rest of the series. This is done with longer torque rods and springs. Some of the parts suppliers have just the rubber insert available, which you would have to press into the rod.

Superdave

The main reason I asked about them is that I would like to sell them ( as I do not own a 5 ton or know too much about them ) and I do not know what kind of price I should be asking for them. So if any one could tell me what they normally sell for it would be appreciated.

Dave

M1075

You can check for seperation but you will get a lot of service before a failure. However, a failure can be bad, very bad.

It is a tough call when to replace them. Most people don't until they fail. When you make toast and it is burnt, you cooked it too long. When you rods break, they should have been replaced.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I saw an old 5 ton that had been converted to a water truck and had one let go while driving, the whole rear axle ended up tearing out, ripping the brake lines out. They ended up scrapping the truck after that, they definately got their moneys worth. $50 per rod with the inserts is a good deal IMHO.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You folks can check the FL Roundup thread for pics of the failure on my deuce. I was able to put the rod back on using a hilift jack and then strap it into place to get me home. Check the rubber for dryrot. The usually won't pop off unless you are binding up the truck off road. There is almost no lateral movement on the rods during highway travel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks