• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Total NEWBIE from RI with Questions about M35A2 Practicality

Hello All-
Please bear with me for my ignorance or if I offend any of the true enthusiasts out there. I'm a fairly competent backyard mechanic and general jack-of-many-trades. I just wanted to introduce myself as Brian, and I have a few questions about the feasibility of the Deuce for a project i'm working on.

I am planning on building a tiny house on wheels so that I might meander about the country. When one location gets boring, I'll pull up stakes to find another suitable spot (wrangling and rambling as I call it). Such a house can be seen here
http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/. The house I intend to build sits on a 20' tandem axle landscape trailer and will weigh in just shy of 7000 lbs. While there are a great many tow options out there, I thought about the feasibility of a bobbed Deuce to handle the job. I won't be towing this house on the interstate, just the "Blue Highways" or state roads. The fact that she doesnt want to go much over 50 is fine as I believe so much of life worth seeing is lost at high speeds.

I'm a budding diesel guy but I don't know much of the lds 465 multi-fuels other than what I have gleened from wikipedia and now this great site. I have yet to see one of these motors over 40,000 miles (it seems the military overhauled them all at low mileages). I understand that they would sit idling for hours on end in some cases, but I'm curious about their longevity. Unlike the government, I do not have unlimited funds, access to parts, and labor at my disposal. I'm guessing our government wouldnt have spec'd and stuck by this vehicle/engine combo for so long if it weren't a stout team.

So I'm asking what are the pitfalls, shortcomings, and gremlins I should know about? I'm 6' and 230 lbs so I can live without power steering as most hauls will be under 300 miles. I've read the Army's comic book for instructing "muti-fuel operators" and realize you don't just get in and drive these things like a Powerstroke F250. I'm also a private pilot so I'm used to the precursory "inspection and run-up" before getting behind the wheel as well as necessary shut-down procedures before switching off the fuel pump.

To be perfectly honest, I've never been in one of these, hence my reluctance to pursue one as an occaisional tow vehicle. The house I'll be pulling is meant to draw attention while on the backroads (part of my business plan) and I thought the Deuce would be great at attracting attention and starting conversations as well. Any thoughts or kind-hearted criticism would be greatly appreciated. And to the moderators, thank-you for having me. I apologize in advance if this line of questioning has perhaps jumped into the wrong forum.

Brian

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd bob a 900 series and go. Forget the deuce. (might need a CDL though)

Scarecrow1

The truth is I would not bob either one for the purpose you described. These trucks are great for just what you want the way they are. Why would you want to lighten the truck if your going to be pulling and stopping with 4 tons behind you? I would leave the truck just like it is, not chop cut and end up with something that it was never meant to be. I have never understood the need to try to fix something that was never broke to start with ......But that's just me

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks