• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a HEMTT MK-48

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Wm and I dealt with about 20 of these beast in FL. a few years ago, the pucker factor did not get better
What he said.

The first time I loaded a FPU only onto a transport trailer (up a steep ramp) my O-ring snapped shut so tight you could not have driven a straight pin past it with a twelve pound sledge hammer.:shock::shock:

I don't know if the rear axle came off the ground when it topped that ramp but my beak was pretty close to the deck of that trailer.

Even with a trailer bolted on it took me a few minutes to get used to driving them around the post we were loading them at and I drove HEMMT's in the Army.

When I was at Fort Benning in the 80's the Marines brought their LAV's there to live fire.

The were using MK-48's as ammo haulers and they had one flip over going down a big hill near the Ammo Supply Point.

One of the guys did not make it due to being ejected and ran over by the trailer.

We had to recover the spilled ammo and help the Marines recover the truck with one of our big cranes.

They are great vehicles but they have a steep learning curve.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What he said.

The first time I loaded a FPU only onto a transport trailer (up a steep ramp) my O-ring snapped shut so tight you could not have driven a straight pin past it with a twelve pound sledge hammer.:shock::shock:

I don't know if the rear axle came off the ground when it topped that ramp but my beak was pretty close to the deck of that trailer.

Even with a trailer bolted on it took me a few minutes to get used to driving them around the post we were loading them at and I drove HEMMT's in the Army.

When I was at Fort Benning in the 80's the Marines brought their LAV's there to live fire.

The were using MK-48's as ammo haulers and they had one flip over going down a big hill near the Ammo Supply Point.

One of the guys did not make it due to being ejected and ran over by the trailer.

We had to recover the spilled ammo and help the Marines recover the truck with one of our big cranes.

They are great vehicles but they have a steep learning curve.
I have learned that ANY learning curve that contains VERTICLE SLOPES will probably kill you if you fail the "learning" part.

Just sayin'.

Carry on.

ryanaubra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to everyone for the experienced advice. He is going the route of using an RGN and getting them one at a time. No flat towing.

SWATMOD

MK48Tow.jpg
I just towed one with a wrecker(MK48-15) 1500 miles with no issues other than blowing out a few tires as at first I had the second truck hoisted up, I then tried flat towing it and the tires lasted the rest of the trip. I am a highly experienced driver of many combinations and this trip wasnt too bad, although I woulnt trust many people to take the wheel.

FYI: most the info on her about how MK48's drive is BS, they go down the road just fine if you are an experiened driver of large vehicles.. Yes, the YAR steering system could fail and send you into oncoming traffic without warning, but thats besides the point.

Keep an eye on my site Oneofwon.net as I'll be posting pics and info about the trip in the next few weeks.

20160518_130901.jpg

Last edited:

tatra813

View attachment 627550
I just towed one with a wrecker(MK48-15) 1500 miles with no issues other than blowing out a few tires as at first I had the second truck hoisted up, I then tried flat towing it and the tires lasted the rest of the trip. I am a highly experienced driver of many combinations and this trip wasnt too bad, although I woulnt trust many people to take the wheel.

FYI: most the info on her about how MK48's drive is BS, they go down the road just fine if you are an experiened driver of large vehicles.. Yes, the YAR steering system could fail and send you into oncoming traffic without warning, but thats besides the point.

Keep an eye on my site Oneofwon.net as I'll be posting pics and info about the trip in the next few weeks.

View attachment 627551
Why were tires blowing out? Think they are just old?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks