• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

towing a M1009 with a 98 chevy c1500

84cucv1ton

im not really thinking this is a goods idea. i need to mave pretty fast. the m1009 i am getting for 500 bucks he just wants it gone. its a descent truck. for the price why not. think i know why its not running either.

ok to do this? i was going to flat tow it with a tow bar i can rent somewhere i hope.

thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck will tow it fine, adapting the rental towbar might be a problem. Gotta be a member nearby that can loan you the correct bar.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you do decide to do this, make sure you put weight in the back of your pickup, I did this once, towed a Civy blazer with a K-10. I test drove it after hooking up the bar, and without adding weight to the rear of the K-10, the blazer would push the rearend of the K-10 around on hard stops. Tow bar angle is important also, try to get it level, or better, angled slightly down toward the tow vehicle. Go slow (45-50) Dont forget to unhook the rear driveshaft at the rear axle on the Blazer and wire it up under the truck, if you pull it out you will dump ATF everywhere from the transfercase. Unlock the steering, and the front hubs.

And good luck!.

M725

This might help; It's from TM9-2320-289-10
"CUCV Series truck may be towed on all four wheels with a tow bar, at speeds less than 35 mph for distances up to 50 miles provided there is no damage to the power train and steering is operable.
For distances over 50 miles, have organizational maintenance disconnect rear propshaft at rea axle carrier and front axle carrier, and secure in safe position"
(4) Unlock steering by turning ignition key to "OFF"
(5)Shift transmission gearshift lever to "N" (Neutral)
(6)Shift transfer case control lever to "N" (Neutral)
(7)Unlock locking hubs
(8)Install safety chains
(9) Release parking brake

Hope this helps, and if you can get a military tow bar it will make it alot easier.

tymbom

I just towed a M1008 over 800 miles with a tow bar from U-Haul. They don't rent them, they only sell. I towed with my crewcab 1500. We hooked the tow bar to the lifting shackle mounts using some grade 8 bolts and some washers. Just make sure everything is nice and tight some it doesn't wiggle around a it should be okay. U-Haul even has some lights with a magnetic base. Go to "M1008 recovery from Barstow" in the road trip section for pics.

Mike_Pop

Give Jude Meehan a call and see if he can use his 1 ton truck and trailer to help you out. I've borrowed it many times and even hauled a Suburban. If you need his number, send me a PM.

Attachments

Mike_Pop

Forgot...if you are in North Jersey, there is a Unimog owner in Highland Lakes who might be able to loan you his trailer.

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: towing a M1009 with a 98 chevy c1500

M725 said:
This might help; It's from TM9-2320-289-10
"CUCV Series truck may be towed on all four wheels with a tow bar, at speeds less than 35 mph for distances up to 50 miles provided there is no damage to the power train and steering is operable.
For distances over 50 miles, have organizational maintenance disconnect rear propshaft at rea axle carrier and front axle carrier, and secure in safe position"
(4) Unlock steering by turning ignition key to "OFF"
(5)Shift transmission gearshift lever to "N" (Neutral)
(6)Shift transfer case control lever to "N" (Neutral)
(7)Unlock locking hubs
(8)Install safety chains
(9) Release parking brake

Hope this helps, and if you can get a military tow bar it will make it alot easier.
NEVER NEVER NEVER PUT AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION IN NEUTRAL TO TOW IT WITH THE ENGINE OFF, YOU WILL KILL THE TRANS!!!

Crash_AF

RE: Re: RE: towing a M1009 with a 98 chevy c1500

If you unbolt the driveshafts, you are ok. If you don't the output of the transmission is turning but the oil pump (which is on the input shaft of 95% of automatic transmissions) isn't so the bearings get starved of oil and burn up.

Later,
Joe

CCATLETT1984

RE: Re: RE: towing a M1009 with a 98 chevy c1500

Yup, without the truck making pressure in the transmission, if the shaft turns you will fry the bearings in a hurry.

Pulling the driveshaft at the rear and wiring it up is the best way to go. For the transfer case, you can leave it in gear as long as the front hubs are unlocked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks