• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a M105 with a CUCV

gocmndo

Will the electirical from a M105 plug into a CUCV? Will it work or will I have 12V and 24V issues? Any way in getting brakes to work behind a CUCV?
Thanks,
-Martin

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Electrical will work fine 100% plugs right in. the 12V feeding the 24V bulbs will be a little dim, but still work.
No way you can make the trailer airbrakes run on an airbrakeless truck.

acetomatoco

That trailer is not designed for the Hummv nor the Hummv for it... Early Hummvs were not even allowed to tow the 3/4 ton trailer. M101 style

gocmndo

I do realize that if I load the trailer down I will have issues. My concern was more for electrical and stability. I do have 4" lift and running 37" tires so I think I may line up pretty well...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What it's designed for and what it's asked to do are horses of a different color. If we went strictly be design, there would be no Viet Nam gun trucks. Our troops are and have been asked to improvise every day. Just remember this though, if you improvise and it works, you are a hero. If you improvise and it fails, you own it for life.

acetomatoco

How true, with life too... The ungainly M105 trailer has never been one of my favorites. probably because I bought them 20 at a time for $17 each, and took the tires and lights and scrapped the rest at the then $35 a ton rate. Boy are they heavy.... As an aside, I do not want to be near a CUCV or a HUMMV towing a M105 trailer with no brakes at any non emergency instance. And I am the guy who has towed water buffaloes with a Caprice Police Cruiser on the Mass Turnpike....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And I am the guy who has towed water buffaloes with a Caprice Police Cruiser on the Mass Turnpike....
Ummmm, I'm tellin! Ross, it is likely that you have forgotten more than most of us will ever know about this stuff.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A water buffalo behind a Caprice is roughly as amusing as an M105 behind a Volvo station wagon………..

AJMBLAZER

There was a water buffalo at a 4x4 event I was at recently. Hooked to a modern 1 ton diesel pickup and yes, it was full of water. I told the guy he was braver than I.

CCATLETT1984

i have pulled a M200a1 all the way back from aberdeen with my m1008, running a 6" lift and 38.5" tires the pintle lines up.
I had no problems pulling it, but allowed for a large distance to stop. I did try a few panic stops and the trailer didnt seem to push the truck at all. I wouldnt use it to pull the trailer everyday, but I have a genset mounted in my trailer, so its not like it moves a lot.

CCATLETT1984

one thing to note, they are now making electric brake controllers that can operate hydraulic brakes, the pumps are still expensive though (several hundred bucks) but its a all-in-one unit that replaces the master cylinder on the trailer and gets power from the vehicle. Another cool feature is that they have a emergency battery on the trailer and if the trailer breaks away from the truck, the brakes engage and stop the trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks