• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tractor ID help?

pevrs114

Gents,

Looking at a truck, and I'm trying to definitely ID it. I've only looked over it quickly once, and didn't know enough information to positively ID it. It's a 5 ton tractor, but I need to determine if it's an M818 or an M52A1.

What are some visual cues to help determine which model it is? From my research I have found that the M809 series has a pointy grille like a deuce, whereas the M52 would have a flat grille.

The owner also told me it has a Mack engine, but I'm not sure if it's original or if it's a transplant. The engine definitely has a turbo, I looked up through the passenger fender and saw it. Does the Mack ENDT-673 have a turbo?

Any other help would be greatly appreciated, pictures are unavailable at this time but if I get any I'll post them up.

This truck has seen hard use, it has damage to both fenders and the front bumper, the trans is pulled out (I was told it needs a new gear, believe it's 1st) and there is a fair amount of surface rust - doesn't appear to be any rot though. Any idea on a value range for a tractor like this?

area52

M818 tractor has the air cleaner on the drivers side fender. No turbo.

M52A1 (Mack) and the M52A2 both have it on the passenger side fender. If you pop the hood and see a cross over pipe going over the valve covers, its a Mack. They have turbos. Buy it!!!

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A1 Macks are pretty darn rare. I have an M54A1C and have grown very fond of this truck. The ENDT-673 is a real piece of work. Lots of pure torque. Beautiful engine.

Photo below as a reference, 800 Series on the left and A1 Mack on the right. As Wade mentioned notice the placement of the air cleaner on each. And, you are correct about the grilles.

Attachments

pevrs114

OK fellas I went and confirmed, it's definitely an M52A1 with a Mack engine. I've taken some pics and wanted to see what you guys thought in terms of monetary value. Can you help me determine how much this truck should be worth? It seems to have 104k miles on it.

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

area52

Transmissions are not that hard to find. It has a heater and a hard top, both plus in my book.

What does the owner want for it? I would offer $2K and see what he says. Do you have a way to move it? Does it start up or at least crank?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
$2k!? With no trans, I would offer $1200 (actually I wouldn't, I'm too cheap) and go from there. It has some good features, but it IS a basket case. Do we know the motor runs?

AMGeneral

Hmmm,EARLY M52A1( big turbo,downdraft exhaust) I agree with Aera 52,I would start at $1000 and go up from there,just not over $3000,truck is pretty beat up,and judging by the mods,looks like a logger has used it. But beware!!!,Mack stuff is more expensive and harder to find!! Belts,hoses, clutch, flywheel and fan blade are specialized to that series truck!! so check throughly!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks