• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tractor V tread AG tires M52A1

tucker79

Anybody running tractor tires on there 5 ton. I searched the threads here as much as I could stand and didn't find much.
I love my 5 ton but since I changed out the original 9.00s for the super singles 395\85\20 MV/T Iv lost a lot of off road capability in the swamps we call hunting preserves here in S. FL and the big mudding events I enjoy going to.
The 395s tread just loads rite up altho they are a major improvement the majority of the time i'm on the road.
My 1st bright idea was duel super single witch may still happen if I can get some custom rims made as I'm leaning away from my idea of spacers now. Would like to get my original centers cut n welded in the extra HEMMET rims n 395s I already have but as bad ass as i think it would look Im pretty sure getting um all to balance out wont be easy and probably not much benefit in the swamp.
So Id like to find a set of V tread AG tractor tires as big as I can fit without moving or losing my 2nd rear axle witch Iv been told here is what sets these trucks apart from the rest off road.
I have 4 monster 5ft AG tires in 5T rims that would bolt rite up if bobbed but just cant bring myself to chop it. I do work and haul with this truck as well as play hard.
So I need a second set of super aggressive I can change out to for swamp n mud bogs
Would be great to hear what size tractor tires 50+'' you guys are running and have seen as wide as I can go ( dont think Im that interested in the 53s everyone is running just not aggressive enough.
Would like to use rims I have or modify them but i dont see tractor tires with 20R.
LOOKING for someone that makes custom rims here in S FL that is affordable.
LOOKING for Flowtation rims n spacers off rocket truck to run duel Super Singles
LOOKING for someone that has used tractor tires and rims for sale in this state FL.
LOOKING for someone that may want to trade AG tires i need for 10 9.00s n rims or 4 395/85/20s 80/90% all road worthy
OR 4 monster 5ft AG tires think 23.1 5ton centers +-$$$ also got town car, rv, enclosed landscape trailer up for trade
LOOKING 2.5 T Rockwell or Lull axle set, Tcase, coilovers, rear winch, MUD Truck parts
And as always any and all input from the good people on this site that I'v learned so much from.
Long Post Thanks Everybody
O And Pics Pics Pics Pics

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This truck belongs to one of our local contractors at work. These pictures were from a family event we had several years ago in 2009. I'm not sure if he still has it, if it's the same truck as yours or where it might be today. I haven't seen it since and these are all the pictures i have. Maybe it'll give you some ideas though.

IMG_1813.jpg
IMG_1812.jpg
IMG_1811.jpg
IMG_1810.jpg

tucker79

Awesome Pics Im not looking to go that big as much as i want to. I want to be able to keep mine on the road. My best bet mite be get another 5T n do something like that. I use my M52 to haul toys mud truck n gear out to woods. Any way to stretch back axles with stock parts off different MV or are all the leafs n dog bones the same length.

emr

Although that truck looks cool to a lot, there are huge give and takes to all tires, I know what you are talking about and would love to see what you come up with, I am always looking at misc equipment tires and looking what rim sizes certain they come in ,

I ran a deep V with about 3 to 4 inch spacing between the tractor lugs I will call them , usually called " implement tires " I found in mud bog runs I smoked every one with my V6 255 in my M 38 and stock 16" rims with the 700 / 16s Implement tires . It was basically unstable like you know from experience they cut and throw the mud out of the way, So many guys think Wide tires are the way to go, They have there place ( mostly on rocks and sand ) but not what U are talking about ;;, Good luck Equipment tire manufactures may have em that would fit your rims, with todays back hoes having tall narrow older hoes and low flatter squatty for newer hoes, I have seem on farm tractors perfect ones,

tucker79

I hear ya on the too wide thing. That is a proven fact around here guess its a fine line. Just dont want cookie cutters we call um that was main reason I went 395s. The shorter wheel base for the 5T WW tractor with the 900s the front was so heavy it would just sink in the goo n if you dont find bottom ur done plus all the surplus 900s where pretty old n dry n you could follow me from the trail of rubber i left behind on the road. I really like dual duals you get a flat in back n dont even have to lift right foot but I was goin thru them left n right. Would love to go to some bigger duels in back n keep 395s up front. Is there a size I could run duels in back that would match 395s???Also working on installing new freightliner air seat and looking at AC options thinking window shaker under pass. seat run off gen or inverter Input welcome. Also how to soften ride some IT IS SO STIFF all those leafs n running empty. Do any of the cargo trucks...... have less leafs in there pack than the M52a1 tractor with flatbed I have???

tucker79

Been looking for a monster winch to put in back for ballast and the fact that I seem to be the designated recovery rig. As soon as people see me pull up at the mud holes they seem to get much braver lol

tucker79

I think I have seen that video but great addition to the thread Thanks
I do believe chains would sure help but dont see them for sale down S. here
Not wanting to bob this truck I dont think Ill be happy till I buy another truck, bob it and build the exact truck in that video that could be trailered with my current truck to the swamp ( corbett wildlife preserve in palm beach county a great place to trail ride and hunt if anyone gets down here to the bottom of the country) and the mud fest we have here. It would be a load off not to have to worry as much about not breaking something on the trail and being stranded. I can see it already Trailer Queen:idea:

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you thought about having the 395's gone through by a tire groover? Removing every other row of lugs should do something. And since the tires are regroovable, you could also go deeper in the valleys for even more aggressive tread.

dilligaf13

I ran my old bobbed deuce, on 14.00x20s, through a lot of the Corbett. I would have run it through more spots but there was nothing with me that I trusted to recover me, if I buried it. Obviously the 5ton is much heavier but most the stuff out there is high water related unless you go specifically looking for mud. Could always go with the 14.00's or 16.00's on there but my advice is to get a second beater truck and throw some R1 or R2 tractor tires on and go nuts.

tucker79

workin on that 96 ram and yes as you know it can be a long hike for help and nobody wants to break there rig pullin a 5 Ton anchor out of a hole some buggy dug.
I love keeping this old truck alive and Im sure ill find another one in my price range hopefully sooner than later I can add to the fleet (I like my 7.3s)
I know theres a lot of discussion on here about running 1600s and power loss but with all the flat ground here do you think they would be a hindrance?
Any suggestions to soften the ride ( rear shocks, remove some leafs, put duese springs in back dont know if thats possable, air bags I dont think articulation is a major concern in this terrain
Do you still have youre duese and let me know if u need a wheeling buddy

dilligaf13

There's a guy out here that runs a M813 on 16.00's. The power loss is not that bad, since we're not running hills. On a bobbed truck the power loss is non existent, due to the decreased weight from bobbing it.

I'm running the front springs, from a deuce, under my bobbed M813. I've heard running the front springs from a 5ton will beat you to death.

I've sold my deuces but I'm hoping to be done with the my M813 in the next few weeks and will be heading back out to the Corbett soon. I'll reach out to you next time I go.

I sent you a PM.

tucker79

Here's a recent photo on my "toy" build

View attachment 574206
Thats awesome exactly what Im going for. What size tires are those? Did you need to lift it at all to fit the tires?
I got my 2nd 5 ton and am still collecting all the parts I need & have some T case issues to work out.Need air shift cylinder for t/c. May do crew cab or sleeper. Hate to chop it down such a nice truck but I think its a good candidate to bob, seems much lighter in front with the multi w wisler than my 818. It will be replaced with BB at some point. Anyways Im getting closer to having dedicated 5 ton mudder on 23.1s
KIMG0130.jpg

Last edited:

dilligaf13

Tires are 28L-26. I didn't lift it but I did have to trim the front fenders a bit. Without the lift the backspacing on the front wheels is pretty ugly, due to the steering gear box. If I go full hydro steering I'll probably redo the front wheels to tuck them in more. I'd rather do that that lift it. This guy lifted his by building a subframe, can't remember but I think he kept the stock steering as a result.

5ton4.jpg

Last edited:

akwebfoot

Tires are 28L-26. I didn't lift it but I did have to trim the front fenders a bit. Without the lift the backspacing on the front wheels is pretty ugly, due to the steering gear box. If I go full hydro steering I'll probably redo the front wheels to tuck them in more. I'd rather do that that lift it. This guy lifted his by building a subframe, can't remember but I think he kept the stock steering as a result.

View attachment 574599

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks