• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer Brake light mods....

rmgill

So this is the current setup of the lights on my Trailer.

I've had a friend following me and he's reported that the trailer lights are hard to see. I have LED bulbs in the outside lights which are both turn and brake functions. The inside MV lights also work for brake and turn functions as well as the Blackout functions.

I figure I want to move the MV lights up high on the ramps and add another set of standard Trailer lights to the inside positions in those metal housings that way they're clear of being struck. The higher lights will give a good higher view of red lights but still be protected. I figure I might put some conductors inside some BX armored cable sheath or something similar. I've thought about some standard trailer cable as well and run that back to the trailer's structure to tie into the existing harness under the rear dovetail.

I've thought of adding a flashing strobe somewhere back there but I cannot figure out where to put it. short of a low profile or recessed Amber strobe in the rear face of the trailer I don't know where. A rotating beacon would be cheaper BUT there's no easy place to put it that won't be forgotten or worse crushed by the cargo when loading or unloading.

Any ideas?

Attachments

EO2NMCB

Your rotating beacon could be set up like new RGN trls are. Stake pocket on the side or rear of the trl. Mount the light on a pole, pin the pole in the pocket. Then make a pigtail for the light and a receiver on the trl. That way its very easy to remove to loading.

Mike_Pop

I have a pair of light housings for sale, $45 for both (plus shipping). I bought a bunch a while ago and used them on my trailers and trucks when I knew that the standard lights would get damaged. These housings are very strong and can protect your lights. They measure 17" long, 3.75" high, and 3" deep. A standard 7" wide light will fit in them. There is plenty of room for wires inside the box which keeps everything waterproof.

You could mount these on your ramps and not have to worry about damage from your machinery. I don't have any use for these and was going to put them on eBay anyway.

Attachments

rmgill

Mike Pop, thanks for the offer. I'll probably be rebuilding these ramps at some point in the future, but right now I'm going to stick to the basics and the MV tail lights I have for now. the cost of the housings plus 4 lights and wiring would be more than I want to spend. I have to worry about paying for diesel at this point.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks