• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer on a bed or frame anyone?

TracerX

First post here. I am buying a 1083 and planning to camp with it in the future.

Is anyone just "bolting" an RV trailer to their LMTV bed or frame? I haven't found any reference to this on here or Google. Maybe I'm not searching correctly. It would seem to be an inexpensive way to do it. You wouldn't have to manufacture anything yourself.

Thanks!

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a number of overland expedition style rig builds around here. Some use existing boxes (e.g. military "shelter" boxes, RVs, trailers, campers, etc.), some build their own custom stuff. I think a couple of the posts are in the first page or two.

coachgeo

First post here. I am buying a 1083 and planning to camp with it in the future.
Is anyone just "bolting" an RV trailer to their LMTV bed or frame? I haven't found any reference to this on here or Google. Maybe I'm not searching correctly. It would seem to be an inexpensive way to do it. You wouldn't have to manufacture anything yourself.

Thanks!
Long read... but will get you thinking enough to realize this is more complex than you think. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/25494-pivoting-frames-and-mounting-campers

Luckly for mounting .. the FMTV trucks are much stiffer chassis so copying a mount such as one used with M1079 (captured spring arrangement) might work but you would have to make a sub frame to clamp the camper too. An RV Trailer would rip to pieces putting such a system directly to it. Their not structurally built to take such forces.

My previous thoughts where in same direction as your thinking. Plan in my mind was to keep Trailer a suspension...but stiffen it a lot. This would keep it close to its original design parameters. Remove wheels and bolt Axle's suspension (Leaf springs?) in place of axle to a sub chassis or modified bed. Move trailer's ball coupling in tight next too or just under front edge of camper. Couple that to a ball mounted to same the sub chassis or modified bed you bolted the Suspension too. End result is trailer is hooked up and using suspension it came with close to as intended. Then mount trailer and its new sub Chassis Back-Assward onto back of truck (trailer ball coupling facing the rear). Might have to limit movement potential at the ball from port to starboard so you don't get odd unsteady motion due to funky load shifts as the camper rocks over some.

BUT..... Im not an engineer nor ever played on on TV.

Last edited:

TracerX

There are a number of overland expedition style rig builds around here. Some use existing boxes (e.g. military "shelter" boxes, RVs, trailers, campers, etc.), some build their own custom stuff. I think a couple of the posts are in the first page or two.
I have seen those threads but none of them address just "bolting" a travel trailer onto the bed or frame.

Long read... but will get you thinking enough to realize this is more complex than you think. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/25494-pivoting-frames-and-mounting-campers
Luckly for mounting .. the FMTV trucks are much stiffer chassis so copying a mount such as one used with M1079 (captured spring arrangement) might work but you would have to make a sub frame to clamp the camper too. An RV Trailer would rip to pieces putting such a system directly to it. Their not structurally built to take such forces.
Yeah, that was my main concern is the twisting/flexing of the heavy truck shredding a wimpy camp trailer.

My previous thoughts where in same direction as your thinking. Plan in my mind was to keep Trailer a suspension...but stiffen it a lot. This would keep it close to its original design parameters. Remove wheels and bolt Axle's suspension (Leaf springs?) in place of axle to a sub chassis or modified bed. Move trailer's ball coupling in tight next too or just under front edge of camper. Couple that to a ball mounted to same the sub chassis or modified bed you bolted the Suspension too. End result is trailer is hooked up and using suspension it came with close to as intended. Then mount trailer and its new sub Chassis Back-Assward onto back of truck (trailer ball coupling facing the rear). Might have to limit movement potential at the ball from port to starboard so you don't get odd unsteady motion due to funky load shifts as the camper rocks over some.
BUT..... Im not an engineer nor ever played on on TV.
That is the exact way my buddy and I though about doing it. Using a ball mount and the leaf spring and just let it bounce and sway as if is was bouncing down the trail being towed but with less forces. You could also add some scissor jacks to the trailer(that would contact the LMTV frame) to stabilize it once you get to your destination to keep it from rocking so much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks