• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer plug wiring diagram

86M10086.2L

No one seems to make an adapter from the military plug to a civi plug. And I've been through the training manuals several times and have had no luck with indentifying the wiring for the trailer plug so I can make an adapter from a old military trailer harness. Plus I've heard some of you got comm. available Hoppys adapter for your trucks but which ones? I've tried the ones from Pep Boys that say they are for my truck but the harness plugs are toataly different. I even tried a trailer shop and got the same thing. Am I missing something? or is there a different model I should be looking for. I got a nice hitch setup on my truck now, but without lights it's useless. Does anyone ahve a diagram the explains what each PIN/Wire on the plug is or does ie.. tailights, brakes, brake lights, turnsignal etc... I am just looking for a better plan of attack before I got out with a test light/volt meter and go pin by pin and see what happens.

AJMBLAZER

You probably want the Hoppy's/NAPA/Advanced/whatever plug in harness for a pre 84 truck.

I bought the one for a '86 Chevy truck and it wasn't correct. Someone clued me into the CUCV's using the older connectors and I swapped it at the store for a '83 style connector and it works fine. Well...I still have to undo some rather ingenious "GI Joe" ad hoc wiring but it plugged right in.

LanceRobson

Try the following web pages for M series vehicle, trailer and switch circuit number info.

For trailer wiring: http://www.olive-drab.com/od_nato_trailer_connector.php3

For M series connectors and links to M series vehicle wiring circuit numbers and switch wiring:
http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mseries_connectors.php

Depending on how original you want to keep things an option that works for a friend who wants to pull his M101A1 with his pick-up and his M1008 is this:

He spliced a standard civilian flat four trailer light connector into the CUCV wiring harness behind the rear bumper. Then he changed the M101A1 pigtail for a surplus pigtail modified to a flat four trailer light connector. He figures that he won't need blackout lights and he can pull the M101A1 with either truck.

It also lets him use the CUCV to pull any lunette equipped trailer that hasn't got electric brakes.

By the way, make sure you have the correct voltage lamps in the trailer lights. Some M101s and similar trailers had 12 volt lamps in them for the old M880 family of trucks, some had 24 volt lamps for humdingers. You could wind up with either blown lamps or very dim lamps.

Lance

Matt1970M35A

were could I find a male nato plug for my M35a2 so I dont have to cut any wires

If I can find some Ill try to install a voltage converter in the plug so I dont have to chang out lights on every trailer I pull. If I have any luck Ill post diagrams and pics Thanks Matt

Matt1970M35A

Thanks Boatcarpenter But I was just looking for the male nato plug its self
I can make the converter my self for $5 its easy just need the plug.
But this link has some neat stuff my I use

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks