• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer suggestions

Dracoheart

Ok i know i do not post here much but with the new baby i have not had much time for anything. Well a friend and I started a business together buying storage units and buying at estate sales and selling out of our warehouse. The problem i have i we have been renting U-Hauls for some of the big heavy stuff and loading my F-250 to the max and his F-150 as well. After looking at material cost so my brother-in-law could make a trailer and the prices people want for used trailers on CL i have come to the conclusion that i might as well buy a military trailer instead and haul a lot more stuff for around the same as a used single axle utility trailer.

Now my issue. I need a trailer that can be loaded with ramps if needed and still be able to carry something like a fridge or a washer/dryer. I was thinking an M105 would be perfect but i do not know if my truck is right for it. My tow rig is a 1997 F-250 Light Duty with 31" tires and a leveling kit. GVWR is 7200 and i am still planning on either air bag supports or helper springs. If i do go with the military trailer i will also purchase a pintle hitch with a 5" riser to tow it but would that be enough or would i need more to level it out? from the ground to the center of my hitch is 18 1/2". Any info can help, just need to find something better than a lot of the homemade trailers around here.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I move a lot of furniture and major appliances, and I cannot think of a worse trailer to use for this than ANY military trailer. I have a crappy single axle 5x10 with rear fold down ramp that I bought for $200. It has been all over the US already, and makes moving stuff a breeze with hand trucks and furniture dollies.

eagle4g63

Well hope this helps......I measured my M105 and the pintle is 38" off the pavement.......now that is with it in the upturned position, if you spin it you will lower the ring about 4" give or take.......so still 34" off the ground. That is level.......you might want to look for a m101 they were used more on the back of the pick up trucks and hummers.....so they will be closer to the ground.....they also cost more, because of that fact. Plus they use a regular sized tire, not a 39" deuce tire and rim.

eagle4g63

Also I forgot to add........the back of the trailer is also that high off the ground........so not any better for loading.........I have used mine to empty a few hoarders houses and can say it wasn't pleasant........better than the back of my deuce but not pleasant.

Dracoheart

hmm its tough cause around here everyone is proud of their trailers, found a 6x8 and they want $800 and it is not in the best condition. guess i have to look elsewhere for a good set up.

eagle4g63

The other option you can go with is simple........get a m105......easy enough, remove axle and sell it, put in a civilian axle so it will lower the trailer and use regular trailer tires, that alone will lighten it up and lower it. If you figure the military axle is 20" off the ground you can work from there.......you might also have to use smaller springs(up goes the cost) to get it low enough for what you want.

Unless you have air system to work the brakes on the military trailer, you may as well pull all that stuff off also and sell it too. You can keep the tail lights just use 12 volt bulbs, and instead of cutting the military plug, just unplug it from the wire harness(it is worth more that way) and put on a simple 4 blade plug to use on your truck. After you sell all the parts you don't need you should be able to buy all the other stuff you need.

Dracoheart

That sounds like a better idea. My brother-in-law is always making BBQ pit trailers and has a good supply of springs and he makes the brackets. The most expensive part he needs is the axles. He uses old car axles on his trailers but then again his trailers to not go more than a couple of miles and back where this one would need to travel from my home here close to mexico all the way to Dallas or Austin.

eagle4g63

Are there any mobile home places by you? If so you can get a hold of an axle from them when they set it. I used to work for an outfit that set mobile homes(also the double size ones on basements) most of the time we took the axles off and they just hit a pile. They make good trailer axles, just cut it and re-weld it to the width you need.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks