• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer tire question

waltham41

Hey gents, first post. I have what I believe to be a M101A2 trailer. 5 hole split rims 9.00x16 tires.
The military tires on it hold air (tubed) but are badly dry rotted and missing huge chunks of rubber. OEM replacement tires are expensive. My question is do I have any other tire options such as a modern radial or bias light truck tire that are close enough to fit and do the job.
Thanks

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For my M101A2 I went with 265-75-16 Kendra Klevers AT-2

A tad wider than the stock tires and just about the same height. Had them for three years now and zero issues.

Mark

kenda-klever-at2-b-265-75-16-n1388172-1__43248.jpg

Resized_20190726_113839(1)_resized_(1).jpeg

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have a much older m101a1 if 900x16 5 lug.
Shops are finicky on working on tube type tires on lock rings. You do not have a split rim. Whole different critter.

If you can find a tire shop typically farm or hd. Any 16 inch tire will work with a corresponding new tube.

Do not try to reuse the bias tube even if you're using the same size. Don't ask me how I did not learn the first time and took 2 failures to educate $ me.

Also not a bad idea to change flaps. One failed on me.

waltham41

Shops are finicky on working on tube type tires on lock rings. You do not have a split rim. Whole different critter.

If you can find a tire shop typically farm or hd. Any 16 inch tire will work with a corresponding new tube.

Do not try to reuse the bias tube even if you're using the same size. Don't ask me how I did not learn the first time and took 2 failures to educate $ me.

My bad lock ring.

My bad you are correct it's a lock ring wheel. I live in rural Okla so plenty of tractor stores, shouldn't be an issue finding someone. So the
265/75/16 tires will work fine with radial tubes and boots? Is that what you mean by flaps?

I've had this trailer for about 6 years now and finally am in the position where I can work on it. The data plate is badly faded and was misted over last time it was painted, I will see if I can clean it up. Not a bad old trailer, just needs a top, tires, and I'm sure the bearings and brake shoes serviced. It only has a hand brake but I have an older H2 hummer to pull it with and I'm ex military and have enough sense to not get dumb.

Appreciate the info, I will get a couple of pics taken and post when I get it out of the weeds it's currently in.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes sir. That tire with new radial tube should fit.
The oe tube has a bent valve that might not be on the civy tube but should be enough room to get a tire chuck on it. The boot is the flap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks