• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trailer using M105 axles

tobyS

Has anyone built a tandem trailer using M105 axles, dueled up? Picture below is M105 axle with duels.

It appears the springs and perches would work and I could fabricate an equalizer. The air to hydraulic brakes would work on the A3 deuce or a 5 ton too.

Attachments

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Toby
I see no reason it could not be done. My only thought is that would the solid spring end anchors you keep on the frame have to be extended down a bit to make the springs sit level with the longer distance down from the frame you will have to have at the equalizer location to allow room for the equalizer to work right?

tobyS

Hi Marty,

I like your picture of the bridge truck. It's sweet!

Yes, the distance down for the fixed end should be about level with the connection point of the shackle end and I'm guessing, but the equalizer should have about 3" travel each (up and down) direction. It gives a start point. With the perches on the side of the frame, I may be able to tuck them up farther than if underneath. I'll have to make a drawing or two and locate materials, but it seems like it will be a nice heavy setup.

I pulled the (A3 donor bed) M105 out of the mud and towed it home from Walton, so have the bed for the deuce, front frame for the dump bed (made from the deuce bed) and then have the second axle to work with. It's just what I need.... another project. I guess that is why green iron is an addiction. One project finished and three started. The wife reminds me that she is very patient, but the daughter getting married means I have to make the green iron less obvious.

Have a good evening, Toby

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Toby I have a few 105 thats in nice shape, not sure what I'm going to do with it. Might trade you my axle springs and perches for one of those dexter axles I saw while at your place.

tobyS

Sorry Chris, I sold one set and am using the other set with the deuce bed, making a dump trailer. Thanks though!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Toby
Ummmmmm- will all of these projects we have in the works keep us going and not sitting around getting old too fast? If that is the case, for my part, look out Methuselah! You with your long life will have nothing on either one of us! :) My son and daughter-in-law say I have 80 acres here and when that is covered in green iron then I need to re-think a bit---!
Good luck and stay the course! Regards Marty

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M105 axle = 79" between hub mounting flanges.

Add roughly 12 inches for the outer wheel/tire + almost 1/2" for the (thickness of) inner wheel center, that's 12.5" to each side. Makes a total WOA of almost 104", with 9.00-20's.

I guess that would be street-legal in Hawaii, only.

tobyS

M105 axle = 79" between hub mounting flanges.

Add roughly 12 inches for the outer wheel/tire + almost 1/2" for the (thickness of) inner wheel center, that's 12.5" to each side. Makes a total WOA of almost 104", with 9.00-20's.

I guess that would be street-legal in Hawaii, only.
I thought I measured 102". I just went and measured and it's 103" over the tire bulge, with 9.00-20's.

If nothing was wider than the tires, I might be tempted to chance it, 8'6" or 102 is the legal limit, I think..but will check.

The other choice is the good A3 wheels and 14.5 tires (I have four ready to use). But to have the wheel over the bearing and brake, would require lengthening the axle. I'd go for 8'4" outside if I did that. I have a few spare tires where the A3 is getting 395s and intermediate axle removed. It wouldn't be my first axle adjustment. I'll mount one of the A3 tires on the M105 and check out the suspension clearance. The equalizer would be longer, for a larger tire.

For being easy to get spares, the 9.00's would be readily available. I guess removing a couple inches would be okay, just a pain for very little gain.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
102" is max legal width.

I wouldn't chance it. LEO already looks hard at duallies with bigger than stock tires. 35x12.5R17 in a stock ram 3500 DRW exceeds 102" . I've got 285/75r17 on the redtruck, and it's legal 100.xx", and they still pull me over and tape measure it.

I was considering dualling a 105 chassis for a welder trailer, so I really wanted to know the width. Thanks for the info. I'll probably stalk M200A1s now...

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a couple I could part with. Been thinking about a dump trailer project with one of them using the frame from an m105 to stretch the m200 longer, but not sure it's gonna happen any time soon.
Rail width on inside of m200 is 38" and width outside of m105 frame is 34".

tobyS

A quick look at the 105 shows the single tire from an A3 will fit the axle fine and have plenty of spring clearance, but it would be against the bed (if the bed were still on and the dish in).

That brings me to 1. take a chance with 103" wide, 2. shorten the axles about 2-3" and keep the 9.00 duels, 3. lengthen the axles around 8"and use the A3 wheels (to about 100") or 4. find and use M200 axles with duel 9.00's. PM sent Mike.

tobyS

I looked up the specifications of an M200 trailer. I see the width is listed at 89+". I have to believe that is over the duels and thus is a full 12" less than the legal maximum width. I won't say that eliminates 4 above, but I do want as wide as possible, without being over the legal limit. Please let me know it I am wrong about the width...I don't have one to measure.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The m200a1 is right around 88 or 89" (measuring by myself) tire to tire outside, measured on trailer without fenders. The fenders on the other one are 92" edge to edge. So well within legal width.

tobyS

Re weight rating, I found a thread where Gringeltaube had given the (M105) part numbers of the bearings as 39590 and 39591 so I looked them up for their weight ratings. Timken gives a rating based on 90 million revolutions and a rating based on 1 million. The 39590 and 39591 have the same 90m rating at 9730# but they are different at the 1 million rating. The 39590 is rated at 37,500# and the 39591 is rated at 65,300#. Together (each side), the bearings are rated over 19,000# for 90 million rev and someplace around 100,000# for a 1 million rating. Talk about overbuilt!

Then I went to the tires. The rating on the side of my 9.00 NDCC said 3,750 each (duel) or about 7500# together. The weight rating on the side of the (A3) 14.5 says 7100#. Thus a duel 9.00 is slightly higher rated than the single 14.5.

I don't know if the D200 has the same bearings, hub and axle dia., but I bet they do, thus similar ratings.

Mike has plans for his M200 axles, and I don't really have funds to purchase others, so option 4 is off the table for me. I have to work with what I have. And at this point, I have to say the 9.00 duels shown above are not road worthy. They are on for moving around the farm and came off my boomtruck when it got new shoes (from 3 M105's), badly checked (but still holding air). Thus my availability on hand does not include (8) 9.00's.... but I do have 4 ready to go 14.5's on rims and several spare tires good enough for a trailer.

tobyS

I'm leaning toward narrowing the M105 axle by 2-3" to make it legal width with duel 9.00's. They are more readily available and are shorter. And it's only one cut/weld. I don't know how I missed that earlier, I thought it was within the legal limit. Soooo close.

Here is the frame and axles coming together for the dump trailer that i'm making from my deuce bed. Working on spring mounts and will have it up on axles shortly. This trailer gets the front frame and tongue and jack from the donor 105.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks