• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranmission problem

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled away from a stoplight a while ago and could not find 3rd gear. Figured out how to shift the truck into 3rd, but it would pop out when slowing down. 5th also devolped some play.

So 2 months later I pulled the cover off the tranny to check it out. No play in the shifter, and the shift forks look good. All the gears look nice. Started playing with the gears and realized the gear for 3rd gear was moving back and forth on the mainshaft. Looked in the bottom of the tranny with a magnet and found the remains of a snap ring. Looked at the mainshaft, and sure enough I had a missing snap ring between 3rd and 5th.

So with the extra 1/8 play due to the missing snap ring, 3rd and 5th gear were moving, and the shifter with them.

Maybe I can install a new snap ring without pulling the tranny, but I imagine I will be pulling it all apart for one little ring....

Attachments

Last edited:

yeager1

Well there is no way to get a set of snap ring pliers in there, but here's a trick if used in the past in similar areas. Get a loop of wire through each of the snap ring ends, then get them on either side of the shaft with the snap ring below the shaft. Then just pull them apart as you pull up and hope it gets over the shaft before the ring bends beyong it's limits. In the picture it looks tight, but what do you have to lose? In similar situations, I've gone through more then 1 rings before getting it, but it beats pulling a tranny.

rdixiemiller

yeager1 said:
Well there is no way to get a set of snap ring pliers in there, but here's a trick if used in the past in similar areas. Get a loop of wire through each of the snap ring ends, then get them on either side of the shaft with the snap ring below the shaft. Then just pull them apart as you pull up and hope it gets over the shaft before the ring bends beyong it's limits. In the picture it looks tight, but what do you have to lose? In similar situations, I've gone through more then 1 rings before getting it, but it beats pulling a tranny.
Now that is a method to add to my list of things to do in awkward situations! Sounds like a good method, and as you said, nothing to lose.

brgmchevy

You can remove that shaft assy without pulling the tranny. I had to replace the 2 woodruff keys that lock 2nd gear to the mainshaft. they had sheared and the gear spun and I lost 2nd gear until the gear seized on the shaft and I couldn't shift the tranny. Not much fun happening during the winter on a trail ride! I also installed a nos 2nd-3rd sprag from Memphis and a new rear seal and gasket kit, while it was apart.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brgm was right, I pulled the driveshaft off the back of the tranny, hub, and bearing housing. Slid the mainshaft back, and was able to take the gears of the shaft without pulling it out of the tranny.

I was wrong about the placement of the snap ring, it goes in front of 5th gear. Went to the local tranny shop and got a new snap ring. Took about 2 hours to take apart and put back together. Everything seems to shift good. Can't road test the truck, still putting the hydraulic tank in for the dump.
Dennis

Last edited:
Hey Dennis,

If my memroy serves me right, wasn't it 3rd gear (in low range) that you were able to get your wheels spinning for the (now infamous avatar picture) "Deuce Burnout" by dumping the clutch at high revs? :shock:

A refresher course: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2651

I guess a disclaimer of "don't try this at home" is in order?

That is sooo cool. 8) :beer:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if that is the root cause or not. I know exactly when it broke, I was just driving normally, and lost a gear. True, during the burnout, I used 3rd, and I powered up some, but I didn't just floor it and drop the clutch. If anything, I abused the clutch by slipping it some. O well not a hard fix, and not the first time I screwed up something by goofing off.
Dennis

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the offer bomar, I would have ya come up just for the heck of it. If I get help, I might feel inclined to return the favor! Lets just say I have WAY too much going on right now, hopefully I am only a couple of days away from getting the dump done.

Hey I may have to delete some posts here, with the worthless icon and all....
And I am pretty pleased with my one pic, and its awesome photo editing :).
I strive to please when goofing off! Actually pretty nice with other's stuff, I only abuse my stuff.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks