• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranny/Transfer Drain Plug Dimensions

FSBruva

Good evening-

What are the size/thread dimensions for the deuce transmission and transfer case drain plugs? I am looking to install magnetized plugs, but need to know their dimensions - preferably BEFORE I pull the plug out to drain it...

Matt

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
While we are on plug sizes does anyone know the thread size of the engine oil pan plugs?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TC : 1 1/4" NPT,
Tranny : 3/4" NPT
Diffs: 1"x 20 TPI

Matt, better check yours before buying, some of the drain plugs already have magnetic inserts!

Builder77: Oil pan plugs (MF) are 7/8"x18

FSBruva

gringeltaube-

Thanks for the advice - I have gotten that response a lot. My transmission doesn't have a magnet on it. While I was still learning to drive the deuce, I kept forgetting that 1st and Reverse have no synchros. At my last transmission oil change, nothing was hanging on to the plug, but there was some stuff in there that SHOULD have been hanging on the plug.

Matt

acetomatoco

Never heard of synchro reverse..however you can double clutch the xfer case from low to high in reverse to get a fast back up....remember to always start in first or reverse to save clutch.. and to be sure the sprag is pointed in the right direction on early trucks.. ACE

sponaugle

TC : 1 1/4" NPT,
Tranny : 3/4" NPT
Diffs: 1"x 20

Matt, better check yours before buying, some of the drain plugs already have magnetic inserts!

Builder77: Oil pan plugs (MF) are 7/8"x18
I did my first maintenance yesterday and went to replace all the diff fluid. Two of the diffs have very damaged fill plugs (rounded out square holes).

The drain plugs on the diff are easy to find as they are 3/4 NPT, but the full plugs are not a tapered thread. It was suggested by you and a few other people that the threads are 1" x 20, which I take to mean 1" by 20TPI (Threads per inch). This is a pretty fine thread for a 1" diameter.

I spent some time looking at McMaster-Carr, as well as a bunch of other places online with no luck. I can't find any reference to ANY plugs being 1" x 20.

I did find a 1" x 20 TAP (Greenfield 1? X 20 TPI Hand Tap 1X20 USA | eBay) which was for sale on Ebay, so I suspect there must be some other use.

So, does anyone have a source online, or local that sells a plug that will work for the 1"x20 fill plug on the diff?

(Also, the part number for this plug is 5365-00-732-6126)

Jeff

Last edited:

sponaugle

I have continued on m quest to find a replacement fill plug for the Rockwell differential.

As you can see in the picture attached, there are two plugs on the Rockwell diff. The one I am looking for is #4 in this picture, part number 5365-00-732-6126.

A bit of google search confirms this is the right number, but does not really point to any direct source of the part. I did find a RFQ from the feds for this part, and it looks like it was awarded:

"SPM4A6-08-X-0457 has been awarded on July 9, 2009 to Cage 1SDG3, Barnegat Bay NCCS, Inc.". So, I guess the military also needed some of these plugs.

Anyone have any idea who I might be able to buy the part from based on the NSN?

Jeff

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tried Memphis Equipment, Clark trucks, Whiteowl, Jim Henry, Boyce Equipment, Eastern Surplus and any of the other MV truck shops?

Have you tried the custom axle shops?

sponaugle

Have you tried Memphis Equipment, Clark trucks, Whiteowl, Jim Henry, Boyce Equipment, Eastern Surplus and any of the other MV truck shops?

Have you tried the custom axle shops?
Thanks for the suggestion list. I have contacted a few rockwell axel shops, plus boyce, and I'll call Eastern Surplus as well. Clarks is on my list after that.

I'll post back if I get a hit somewhere!

Jeff

sponaugle

Thanks for the suggestion list. I have contacted a few rockwell axel shops, plus boyce, and I'll call Eastern Surplus as well. Clarks is on my list after that.

I'll post back if I get a hit somewhere!

Jeff
Memphis had them in stock. woo hoo!. Unfortunately the fill plug in the front diff is completely rounded off, and will not budge even with vise grips (on the edge of the plug). I spent about an hour trying it loose.

My next idea is to weld a bolt to it. Anyone see a problem with that approach, assuming a quick tack with minimal heat? Any other ideas of how to get a stuck fill plug out?

Jeff

kastein

I would stuff the biggest bolt I could into the hole and weld it in, then turn the bolt. You will fry the oil a bit and wreck the seal (if any) on the plug but you are replacing it anyways.

HDN

I'm in the process of pulling the drain plugs out of my transfer case because their square holes are also rounded off and messed up. I may be able to get the fill plug off with heavy pliers or a pipe wrench since there's enough of it exposed.

I was thinking about replacing the plugs with galvanized steel plugs meant for indoor plumbing. Would this be problematic?

This is what I'm thinking about getting: https://www.homedepot.com/p/LDR-Industries-1-1-4-in-Galvanized-Iron-Plug-311-P-114/202310552

And I attached a pic of my messed-up fill plug.

Attachments

Modiconman

My transfer case plugs were rounded. I too contemplated welding a big nut to them, however,I was fortunate enough to be able to get a good enough "bite" with a regular pipe wrench and get them out.

Reactions: HDN

HDN

My transfer case plugs were rounded. I too contemplated welding a big nut to them, however,I was fortunate enough to be able to get a good enough "bite" with a regular pipe wrench and get them out.
The truck shop used a pipe wrench with cheater pipe to get the fill plug out, and then they welded a bolt to it. For the drain plug, they ground down a bolt to a square shape and pounded it into the rounded off hole (that bolt isn't coming out any time soon!).

The job cost me $200 - the most-expensive drain plugs I've ever had! And they were stuck! Fortunately pulling the fill plug showed that the transfer case has plenty of oil in it despite leaking from the range selector seal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks