• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans-Continental Recovery

crusty

I,m a little late in posting an account of the recovery of the M1009 I bought from Barstow CA.

The first thing I want to do is to thank those members who generously offered to assist in this project. I would have loved to have had enough time to meet with the members from SoCal. Since my time schedule was so tight, I thought it better to go with a commercial tow company. To that end, ARC Towing in Barstow seemed to have an excellent reputation, so I decided to go with them. I never had any cause to regret that decision. They were very courteous and professional.

This whole project started as a result of an entirely different interest. On E-Bay, I found a seller who had a set of wings for the Acroduster Too that included a center section with auxiliary fuel tank. My Acroduster was built originally with a 180 horsepower Lycoming and main fuel tank only. It was later converted to a 300+ horsepower Lycoming. It really needs the Aux. tank to extend it's cruising range. In any case, I "Won" the auction, only problem was that the wings were in Paso Robles California, and I am from New Castle Delaware.

After pricing crating and shipping options, I decided to combine my interests, buy a CUCV from the desert southwest, take some vacation time, fly out there, buy a Harbor Freight trailer, load up and drive back. Overall cost would be higher, but I'd end up with the wings, a new utility trailer, and a rust free M1009. What could go wrong?

Actually all things considered, not much did go wrong. The only changes I would make, If I were to do it again is to mail a key to the towing company instead of having them have a key made from the code, and make sure the tailgate window was fixed before flying out there. The key was pricey and the missing tailgate glass caused some carbon monoxide woes.

I have tried to post a few photos below. I probably should have taken more photo's but I had a long way to go, and a short time to get there.

Last edited:

crusty

Well, if you just count the time from when I got on the Continental 737-800 till I Got back home, it was just a week. The only touristy thing I did was to stop at Meteor Crater on the way back. It was VERY windy there, I lost a brand new GL hat in the desert. Pretty much everything else was hurried. There was one time between Barstow and San Luis Obispo when my GPS diverted me onto some desert trails. Not the fastest route but pretty cool anyway.
I had a 6 hour layover in Las Vegas & I'm proud to say I only donated $4 in the slots.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's a great story.

scooter01922

Nice story and a sweet looking plane in your avitar. Any chance you could post more pics of it for those of us that like anything that flies.

crusty

Scooter, there is a video of my former partner's first solo on U-Tube. To find it just search for Acroduster and look for the Green & White plane.

crusty

With 300+ horsepower, a constant speed propeller, not a lot of fuel on board, and only a pilot, a maximum performance takeoff is in itself an aerobatic maneuver. It is easily possible to depart the traffic area above 3000' before reaching the end of the runway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks