• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trans fluid - M923A2

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know someone that used that Allison approved fluid in his 929 because he called Allison and that's what they told him to switch too. He had to rebuild the transmission that was working and shifting perfectly fine with the 10W oil a week later after he put that fluid in. I'll stick with straight 10W non detergent motor oil in my M929A2. I actually work my truck everytime it goes out weather it's pulling a 36,000# excavator or hauling off-road. Even pulling a steep grade with the excavator behind it in 1st gear because that's the only gear it will pull that grade in the trans temp never goes any higher then 160-180

Last edited:

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know someone that used that Allison approved fluid in his 929 because he called Allison and that's what they told him to switch too. He had to rebuild the transmission that was working and shifting perfectly fine with the 10W oil a week later after he put that fluid in. I'll stick with straight 10W non detergent motor oil in my M929A2. I actually work my truck everytime it goes out weather it's pulling a 36,000# excavator or hauling off-road. Even pulling a steep grade with the excavator behind it in 1st gear because that's the only gear it will pull that grade in the trans temp never goes any higher then 160-180

idbankrman

I have owned 12 939A2 trucks and still have five. Three trucks were completely drained of all fluids. Of the trucks that had fluid in the transmissions I was never sure of what was in them other than that it wasnt Dexron III. I would like to continue using whatever was already in the transmissions but I cant tell what it is. Anybody know of a good methodology to determine the type of fluid that is in a transmission? Seems like alot of people here are sure of what's in theirs so there must be a way.

Csm Davis

I have owned 12 939A2 trucks and still have five. Three trucks were completely drained of all fluids. Of the trucks that had fluid in the transmissions I was never sure of what was in them other than that it wasnt Dexron III. I would like to continue using whatever was already in the transmissions but I cant tell what it is. Anybody know of a good methodology to determine the type of fluid that is in a transmission? Seems like alot of people here are sure of what's in theirs so there must be a way.
They all started with 10wt.

ghitch75

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just changed my trans fluid and used 15 40 because i have over 50 gallons on hand.......So hy/trans would have been a better choice?

Csm Davis

I just changed my trans fluid and used 15 40 because i have over 50 gallons on hand.......So hy/trans would have been a better choice?
Possibly check and see if your oil is C4 certified it will probably be fine either way, I wouldn't think the difference between 10wt and 15w40 is going to be a lot the main difference I see is detergent additive not sure how much that will affect the transmission. If I could not find any 10wt and had to get back on the road 15w40 or any other C4 class would be my second choice. See what the earlier discussion didn't get into was yes the 15w40 saved a little bit of money in logistics if it were to have drastically shortened the life of the transmissions the military wouldn't have made the change because they already have to keep 10wt hydraulic and transmission oil on hand for the wreckers and other equipment that use it. I'm also sure that if we looked we could find the new transyn oil in the system also, the military is not going to make a switch to a oil that would deadline thousands of trucks or have them break down in a fire fight just to save a few 100,000 dollars. I am sure if Allison thought that 15w40 would destroy the transmissions and leave just one soldier in harms way they would be raising cane at the military and the guy's on the ground would be also, trust me mothers of America have tremendous pull with the DOD. It just doesn't work like many people think it does.

Composite native

Please by all means change yours out and tell us how that goes. I wish you all the luck with that but I am going to keep using what came in mine and I use my trucks. Like this yesterday.
That’s so cool she looks looks strong must feel good to be able to pull that kind of weight love it great thread here I’ve always enjoyed the intelligent, bickering back-and-forth. It’s a trip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks