• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer-case advice

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the misfortune of grenading the Rockwell 223 transfer-case in Casa Azul this last weekend on the Pismo Dunes. I just pulled off the beach onto the sand highway and shifted into low range and was suprised when the transfer-case popped out of gear. I tried again and it popped out again. I had a buddy check my drive line as I tried to pull forward again and he quickly saw my problem...I CRACKED the case BAD!

Luckily I found another 226 in a local junkyard (for MUCH less then ALL WHEEL DRIVE wanted to charge me for a rebuild), so I'll get Casa up and rolling again.

However, I've come to the realization that with the weight of the truck, the 385/65 supersingles, manual transmission, and an underpowered motor (Detroit 8.2 non-turbo)...That I'm over torquing the driveline.

I've been contemplating re-motoring Casa Azul with a Cummins 6CTA and an Allison Transmission, so maybe I should replace the transfer-case also?

Other than going up to a Rockwell 226, what do you guys suggest?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

jwaller

I blew up my stock xcase just last weekend, it kept popping out of high and then low would do the same. I guess it didnt like the 20k #'s I was hauling in the back. I stuck another stocker in there and I'll see how long this one lasts.

rice

Do you think it would help the transfer cases to add some STP to the gear oil? It would keep it well lubricated.

jwaller

I dunno. I drove my deuce ~1100 to get it home when I bought it and the sale said it had xcase problems although it drove home perfectly fine. it wasnt until I put a huge load on it that it started having issues.

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After re-reading my post I realized that I posted some of the specs wrong (I have a T223 case and 385/65 tires). I went in and edited the original post.

After doing some research, I've concluded that without some HUGE modifications that I pretty much stuck with sticking to the T223 case. The good news is that I think I've found the heavy duty version that can take 2700 lbs of input torque as opposed to my current unit that can take 1700 lbs.

I'll still be "pushing it" with the weight, the super-singles and the higher ratio ring and pinion gears...Not to mention to stupid places I like to take my blue house on wheels.

On another note...I hope I'm not dissing anybody on this blog by posting about my commercial deuce...Granted its not military, but there aren't any other kids out there playing with BIG 4x4 toys!

rice

Well, its not a whole lot different from a modified deuce in how you use it. And like you said, there aren't many people playing with big 4X4`s or 6x6`s that aren`t military.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks