• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transfer case issues ???

mendo069

i was draining all fluids from my beloved deuce when i came across something that everyone fears most...... metal chunks on the transfer case magnet... after draining all the gear oil i fished out even more bits that matched that on the magnet.. my digital camera has taken a dump so i can't post pix yet.. but to me they resemble a bearing cage.. it has a concave piece then a spacer then a concave piece then a spacer... i can't think of anything else it could be.. no bearings were in the oil.. norman at ant. valley eqpmt. said he has never seen this before. :shock: first, if anyone might have a clue on what this might be, i can use your input... then, should i replace with a used take out, a government rebuild, or should i shop around for someone to rebuild??? i have heard pros and cons on all of the above.. can get gov. rebuild for about $1000.00 or a used take out for $500.00... then some people say to just run it... i have no noises (bad), truck shifts fine... do you guys think i got time, or should i start on this asap... thanks for your help... mendo.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'd pull it and have a local shop go through it, after inspecting it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd drain and drive it. worst case buy a GL spare. You will probably never need it though.

ke6kze

Hi Mendo, I too found metal fragments in the transfer case. I changed the oil and used the truck just fine. After about a year
I changed oil again in tranfer and trans to see how things were
going. I had bearings on the transfer magnet. The transfer was
not noiser than normal. The bearing must have been from the
top end of the case because it did not effect the unit. I purchashed
a rebuilt transfer from Ant. Valley Equip. They send the old units
out to be rebuilt. The new unit works fine. there is a new gear
whine. The transfer gets hot, it is not broken in yet. The Deuce
adverages about 1200 miles a year so breakin is slow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks