• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case Plug Picture with metal shavings

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bad sign, clean the plug and check it in a 100 miles or so. Might be old and accumilated from years of service and repair, then again it may be headed south. See what it looks like after you drive it. Any grinding nioses?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that was 1:11 minutes of "that's not right". Stop, do not wait to drive a 100 miles or so. Sounds like when the thottle was released, (not pulling power) it grinds. Could be bearings or a shaft retainer let go and gears are meshing when they're not ment to.

madcroc1

I think I might need a new transfer case. Anyone have one for sale ? I'll take it apart and see if I can fix it first. Does anyone have experience overhauling these transfer cases on the 939 series? This one is on a 1990 BMY Harsco M923a2.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got in from the shop, sounds like you're going to be the first to find out. Haven't needed to get into a transfer case yet. Just bigger tools , the manuals are out there, might even find a good replacement unit. Keep us post as to the failure mode.
JC

two.fiveM35

What color was the fluid? I changed mine and it was black, i don't think it was changed when the truck was rebuilt. I did not change my noise though. I am draining the rear axles tomorrow. I have notice that one of the rear drum is cold after a drive, i guess I'll pull the drum also.

61sleepercab

Some things to check:

End play of output shafts (worn or unadjusted bearings)

Try rotating output shafts to see if excessive slop (movement between gears) caused by wear

Check universal joints some can make noise when loaded or unloaded.

Some small fillings are normal wear when gear sets mate with each other in a transmission. Coffee grounds size stuff or larger is bad news as well as pieces of needle bearings or bright looking metal.

Good luck hope it is something simple.. Mark

two.fiveM35

If you think its the transfer case, how about adding an additive like Lucas to see if it gets better or worse. Im thinking of removing that little driveshaft so I can lube it, not sure how hard it will be and if it has ever been lubed since the fittings are hard to get to.

two.fiveM35

Just drained the transfer case again and there was some stuff on the magnet. I felt smooth and silky and not gritty. Replaced the fluid with 50/50 mix of 80/90w and Lucus and the noise that I had quieted up 90%. At least I know it's from the transfer case, not sure what I will do next. Have you gotten any further with your noise issue?

madcroc1

Hi, Well I did the same but I used only 80w90 because if I had to drain the oil again I didnt want to throw out good lucas.
My noise quieted down significantly also infact the noise seemed to go away almost completely. There is just a very quiet rumble now. So this certainly has me conserned that there is a problem with the transfer case. I'm trying to find another one near by and reasonably priced. I had some small metal peices come out in the oil so there's gotta be a problem with it. Whats really tough to justify is say $500 for a used transfer case and perhaps $100-$150 shipping VS an entire new 5-ton truck on GL. There are going for about $1500 at the low end and many are going for $2500 - $3500

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks