• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transfer case PTO

eldgenb

I have a 816 with no wrecker body, it has the "on all the time" transfer case pto and I want to hook hydraulics to it, do they make some sort of on/off shaft coupler to disengage the pump or should I just let it run and put a relief valve in line so that it is not holding pressure? I could not find a good solution other than doing something different all together and I would like to use this pto since I still have it.
thanks in advance.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would use a coupler or clutch. If I leave the pto engaged for the crane, and drive down the road, the pump makes a heck of a racket. And the pto would be spinning backwards in reverse.

bigford

There is a part-time PTO for the 5 ton. I forget the exact name / numbers but Dave @ Eastern Surplus had one or two.
I was looking into one for mine.I have a 5 ton winch mounted in the rear of my truck and was planning drive the hydraulics
that way also. Kind of pricey last time I checked, but I have not run across that many of them.
The coupler / clutch thing may be less painful.

I bought a part time pto from memphis equipment $1200 for a rebuilt unit . the out put shaft is tapered spicer makes a yoke to run a drive line or you can put a sprocket to use a chain turn a winch .

eldgenb

Does anyone have a link to this coupler idea, I have searched and searched and cannot find anything adequate. I already have a pto so spending money to change it to another one will not do, especially when I can buy a clutch pump and make a mounting bracket and be done with it for $500 but if I can find some sort of a coupler then I can be in and out for $250 or so.

PackRatWrecker

I guess I have a similar problem, with my Deuce. I'm looking for a t-case pto, to run my 480, but I need to be able to disengage it, for road use. The only places I've found any info on them are "out of stock, but expecting more anytime". Just e-mailed Dave, this evening, so we'll see what he can do.