• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transmission identification help

half

Hi everybody,
First off I'd like to say, great site. There is a ton of useful information here, thanks. Now down to business. I have what I believe to be a 5 ton, M809, M55A2, truck. It's a multifuel, 5spd manual, from the early 70's. I am trying to find out who manufactured the transmission, and what the model number is? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you crawled underneath to look?

Should be a data plate on the transmission telling you what your looking for.

half

Yes I have, the ID plate is gone. From the research I have done it appears to be a Spicer, model 6453. I need to confirm that.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should be a SPICER model #6452 (5th direct) behind that Multifuel.

Oops, NDT, you typed faster!:smile:

Edit: I should have said #6352
(thanks, Kenny!)

Last edited:

AMGeneral

I have seen and owned 2 Multifuel powered 5 tons that were equipped with 6453 OD transmissions,both would run 73 mph at governed speed of 2900 rpm with stock 1100 X 20s.

I believe both of them were Depot rebuilds, those may have been the only transmissions available through the parts system at the time.

NOTE!!

I do not recommend installing an OD trans in a multi powered 5 ton,they are very unstable at those high speeds.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do believe the PTO is the same gear engagement pattern between the 6452 and 6453. Hot shift????