• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transmission swap questions

broylz

im getting a bunch of conflicting things online as to what can and cannot be done...

i want to put an overdrive in the beast and i have been looking at 700r4 and 4l60 transmissions as i dont want to have to deal with electronics at this point.

is the shaft that connects the engine to the transmission the same from gas to diesel? as in can i take a 4l60 with a np242 from a z71 gas truck and put it behind my 6.2 and only change out the converter for the lower stall speed?

would the 4l60 bolt up to the hmmwv transfer case for the full time 4x4? NP218? is this where the shaft would need to be changed?

im seeing some say its an easy swap and some say the input or output shaft need changed.

Carrera911

im getting a bunch of conflicting things online as to what can and cannot be done...

i want to put an overdrive in the beast and i have been looking at 700r4 and 4l60 transmissions as i dont want to have to deal with electronics at this point.

is the shaft that connects the engine to the transmission the same from gas to diesel? as in can i take a 4l60 with a np242 from a z71 gas truck and put it behind my 6.2 and only change out the converter for the lower stall speed?

would the 4l60 bolt up to the hmmwv transfer case for the full time 4x4? NP218? is this where the shaft would need to be changed?

im seeing some say its an easy swap and some say the input or output shaft need changed.
4l60 is the electronic version of the 700r4. If you are going electronic then you may as well get a 4l80. These engines don’t make much power but a 80 is basically the same price as a 60 used and no more headache to do. It is the modern 4 speed version of the turbo 400 that you have and what the new trucks use. If I was to do it I probably wouldn’t spend the extra for the military harness and controller. US shift makes a universal controller for GM trannies for about 500 bucks.

700r4 is about your only mechanical option. Some people on here have done them but I probably wouldn’t. That’s what’s in old passenger cars, s10 and some of the old 1500 trucks. An upgraded one might hold up fine but probably still won’t be as robust as the 80 stock. By the time you buy the upgraded 60 you could easily have a used stock 80 and controller.

These diesels work at low rpm with torque down low. There isn’t much atf flow at these speeds and they will get hot. The torque curve being much lower also puts on more stress. My H2 Hummer has a 4l65 behind a 6.0 LS that makes more power and equivalent torque than these motors. They are a known failure point and this is the 65 with beefier internals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suzukovich

US shift makes a universal controller for GM trannies for about 500 bucks.

I looked on their web site. Seams pretty straight forward install and set up. The question is has anybody used it for their Humvee and what was the results.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks