• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Swap

conny

Guys, I went through about 25 pages here and can't find my answer. Simply, what is the best (or close to it) drop-in syncro transmission swap for the M37 driveline?

Thank you.

teletech

I remember my M37 as having a synchronized gearbox. They were supposed to from 1951 onward.
I just used my M37 as shipped and actually didn't mind the gerabox at all so no first-hand knowledge of swaps. Here are some things I found though...
The M37B1 transmission is liked better than the original M37 gearbox. The G741 Forum might be the place to check for details and easy swaps. I gather there are various gotchas about brake pedal locations and the like so your options might be pretty limited if you want something close to drop-in.

I think what you want is here, identification and listings for both the early and late NP gearboxes as used in the M37 and similar:

If you want to keep it as Mopar as possible, I'd check into various New Process gearboxes, I think both the NP420 and NP435 would likely fit with some work and are pretty likely to just bolt-up on the bellhousing side at least. I know they came in a variety of splines and input shafts though. Not fully synchro'd but second and up is a good start. They were replaced with the fully-synchronized NP4530 and NP445.

Might be an answer for you over here using Ford gearboxes:

If you want to run a Chevy gearbox and don't mind spending some $

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Canadianz

They are in my experience good transmissions, But having never broken one I can’t really advise you any issues with them. They share parts with the T98, despite being made by Acme so parts aren’t hard to come by. I believe the input shaft is different in that it accommodates a larger clutch disc than the US M37. Up here you can find them fairly easily, however the pto is quite rare, and it has a reverse cut gear in comparison to the US version.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks