• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transport needs European style solved

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thought I put a heads-up in this forum on transporting an M51 through Europe (you know, this strange continent where the ancestors of so many of you came from).

The complete story is told in the 5-ton section, but maybe others who mostly skip 5-ton stuff like to read about this as well. Only two pics here, the rest is here

Attachments

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These guys are professionals and know what they are doing. Actually, the company doing the international transport also works in collecting accident cars and trucks for the "golden angels" (European equivalent of AAA) throughout the whole of Europe. Besides, they transport crazy things like the wings for wind mills. Their largest trailer is extendable to 45 meters (or about 135 feet!).

wind mill wing.JPG

Their driver spent over two hours in fastening the stuff to the trailer. His main concern was that the German highway police had even higher standards than him concerning safety and stability, so everything had to be tip top OK.

leaving.jpg

In the end, he used something like 3 sets of chains on each side, and another 13 straps and the side poles to keep everything fixed and stable. Everything got there in one piece, so he seems to know what he is doing and the highway police agrees with him. :jumpin:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robo, I enjoyed the link to the museum. Good luck with the restoration
Thanks. With the summer being our main working season, completely restoring the truck will have to wait till autumn. I do hope that at least we can repair the steering and braking problem sooner and get her on the road "as is" in August already.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks