• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tranzilla t-56 for m1008 m1009

Hammy

has anyone heard of the tranzilla? its a modified Tremec 56 made for 4x4s. i was thinking about this as an option to go with a manual transmission and have the double overdrive option.

i dont know much about swapping a trans. i hope this wouldnt be a huge undertaking but double overdrive sounds awesome since the m1008 i have has the 4.56 gearing.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the T56 can be built to handle the power. I have never heard of anyone using it in an 4x4 application. I would really like to see it.

Hammy

theres a guy i saw on a different forum that had a landrover with a 6.2 and he customized a T56 for it, but I'm curious if the weight of the truck or the length of the trans will be an issue

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The weight of the truck should not be an issue if the trans is built right. I had a 09 CTS-V with a T56 and curb weight on it was 4300lbs. It's not as heavy as a M1008, but the M1008 had nowhere near the torque and HP of the CTS-V.

Hammy

this is something id like to make happen, the real trick here will be finding the money and a mechanic that can do it without destroying my wallet.

o1951

That trans shop is about 20 miles from me.
Trans looks awesome. Way more than a stock 6.2 needs.
They sell beefed up transfer cases too.

Could not find cost on website - probably more than you paid for 1008
Unless you are going for some heavy engine mods, you do not need that much capability. You might talk to them about something that will take your engine's torque and have the 2 overdrive gears. Probably a lot less expensive.

Hammy

I didnt even think about that. O1951. That would probably make things alot more realistic. At best I might add a turbo...maybe. if I can ever figure out why my battery is melting ill be able to start focusing on the rest of the truck.

Hammy

Yeah its melting at the terminal. I was told by a mechanic in my unit that it might be the alternator. But I just had them rebuilt by an electrician that seemed to know what he was doing. Oreillys exchanged the batteries for free but my next project will be cleaning every connection I can get my hands on.

o1951

It takes lots of amps to melt terminals.
1. the battery posts and connectors both must be clean, shiny and tight, or this can happen on a 24 volt system when starting loads are imposed.

2. unlikely alternator - even if shorted, could produce that much amperage without opening the fusible link or destroying the alternator wiring first.

3. if it really happens with all switches off, key out, then you should look for a shorting main cable from batteries.

I would disconnect the battery cables and carefully check cables from battery to starter relay and to starter for damaged insulation. Look where cables touch anything. Be sure to disconnect batteries before inspecting cables. You do NOT want to chance something shorting out near your face.

Hammy

Ok. I have some time monday. Ill start tracing the cables and see what I find. I was thinking about replacing the battery cables anyway cause they are looking rough.

I wouldnt doubt there is probably something touching somewhere. Thanks for the direction. It gives me a good place to start.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks