• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tree Pulling

MDSA

Finally downloaded pictures from March of us cutting down trees. Not super good pics I'm afraid. We cut 2 tall white pines from the front. Those were easy since they were not close to the house. We also cut a 100' poplar and 60' Maple from the back that hung over the house. Those were scary. I knew the Deuce could pull them, but cutting and pulling with the Deuce while one of my boys drove the Deuce got my heart thumping. Too many things that could go amiss. In each situation, we had to pull on an angle with the cable wrapped around another tree since there was not enough room to get the Deuce away from the fall of the tree. Also, someplace in this mix was my sceptical wife watching. She does not fully understand the OD disease and she wasn't so sure the tall poplar would do what I said it would do, but it did.

We cut the pine and poplar into logs for the sawmill. HAven't delivered them yet. Waiting for them to dry a bit so loading will be a bit easier. Plan to use ramps and roll the logs up. The maple was too gnarled for logs.

Then a couple of days later we cut 6 trees from an elderly couple's house that go to our church. They had 3 tall maples overlooking their home and every wind brought concern. Glad we were able to help them out and we now have plenty of wood for the winter.

The first tree at this couple's house was the biggest and I cut my front wedge wrong. By time I actually got the wedge out, I was 2/3 of the way through the tree. Good thing we had a cable on it. I told my son to tighten up a bit while I did the back cut. well he popped the clutch and that tree literally jumped off the stump with a pop that scared me into next week. I ran, but there was no point. If there was any danger, I would have already been dead.

Brian

Attachments