• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

treechopper for M274 mule?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw this treechopper attachment for an ATV, looked pretty cool. Thought it would make a neat addition to a M274 Mule owner who has to clear land as well. What you all think of this idea?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_VljUmmCvE&feature=related[/media]

Chief_919

Neat, but on a mule you would be sitting right next to the blades- lots of brnches to the face and legs.

I could also see an issue with the tree branches getting into the foot pedal and causing control issues.

combat32

Cullen hedgerow cutter, someone has rediscovered history.Looks great till you hit a hardwood or something too big, might make for a sudden stop.

crankshaft45

I would never attach this to my mule. I once broke the outer aluminum axle housing when I clipped a stump at a slow speed. with the rigid axles there is no suspention give to take up the shock.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yeah, I forgot those were aluminum. Come to think of it, now that I am thinking of the front shape and design of the mule, there wouldn't be too any places this could attach to that it wouldn't either 1.break something on the mule or 2.get in the way of the controls.

My dumb thinking, sorry.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Watching the video gave me the sensation of watching a Saturday Night commercial skit with the quads zipping back and forth scooping up trees. I thought they were being cheezy and copying a video game like Pacman or something.

Sorry, I hope you didn't invest in the company.

Rick

Danger Ranger

That is neat, I have never heard of it before. But...what happens when the blades get dull, or you go too slow, or you are booking it around an open field like in the vid, and the front catches on the ground??? Not gonna end well.......:shock:

It would be great for a holiday tree farm.

Last edited:

byrdman1312

Mules are designed to haul lots of weight. They are not made to pull or push. I made a grader blade to grade my driveway, bad idea! Ruined my clutch! However I have, on a couple of occasions, hauled twice the rated weight. I don't recomend doing this very much either. Stick to the 1000 lbs.
I put this reply here to save someone from doing something dumb, like I did!

ldj1002

That is neat, I have never heard of it before. But...what happens when the blades get dull, or you go too slow, or you are booking it around an open field like in the vid, and the front catches on the ground??? Not gonna end well.......:shock:

It would be great for a holiday tree farm.
Danger Ranger,
What is a holiday tree farm? Are you talking about a Christmas Tree farm? If so, why not just say it?

Danger Ranger

I stated it that way because I am on a public forum where there may be more than Christians present. Sort of the same type of reason that many songs switch it out. Sides, trees can be used for the holidays, not just Christmas.

But whatever...2cents

ldj1002

I stated it that way because I am on a public forum where there may be more than Christians present. Sort of the same type of reason that many songs switch it out. Sides, trees can be used for the holidays, not just Christmas.

But whatever...2cents
Yep,
There may be atheists and also Muslins who want to kill Americans on this Forum. I'm not gona change the way I normally state things to appease them. If you are an atheist, so be it, I'm still gona call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree.

Danger Ranger

True, but there may also be good Americans who are not christian here. I normally go your way, but here I chose to go different. Excuse me for thinking of others.:eek:
Oh, and I am not an atheist.

Thanks for the thread guys. Out.

crankshaft45

Every other faith celebrates their religious holidays by their correct name as they should, and I respect that. Why is it that only the christian celebration of Christmas is offensive?

crankshaft45

Now that the thread has been hijacked, to get it back on track.

The tree cutter seems like a good idea for a limited use, but even on a quad I can see trips over the handle bars and suspention and frame damage is quite possible. The vedio only shows small pines which even a hand held machette would take down. I have to wonder how it would handle scrub oak and other harder woods.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks