• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trip to Colemans Surplus 11/20/12

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Making another trip to the Coleman's salvage yard. Will take pics of the trip, might even stop a couple other related places.

Anyone need anything there (THAT YOU KNOW THEY WILL PROBABLY HAVE)???

I added the last part because I constantly get PMs from people asking "next time you're at Colemans please see if they have any left-handed wijitizing dingle-arms off a Atomic Annie tractor." Please note: Colemans is NOT primarily a vehicle salvage yard, they have a couple common MVs in the back, and lots of trailers, the rest of the parts there are in piles and most would fit in the category of general surplus hardware. They do NOT have fire trucks, space shuttle carriers, tanks, radar trailers, ice cream trucks, mobile bakeries, Arleigh-Burke class destroyers or Bailey bridges. So odds are, I'm not going to find a rare part there that you can't find anywhere else. Just normal stuff that you might be missing off your deuce, 5-ton, CUCV or trailer.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I'm back - saved lots of neat stuff! Will post some pics I took there tomorrow, I'm beat and I need to get some shut-eye.

Tlauden

Its always a good day when you get to walk around at colemans, which reminds me i need to stop by and do some "wheelin and dealin" on a deuce i got my eye on up there :p

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, nice day as always, I like going there when it's colder, easier to snag things when you don't have to worry about snakes, bees, and heat stroke.

Here's some pics of the stuff I saw in the yard, I'm going to have to snag some of the wooden boxes in pic 9 - they make excellent storage containers.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And the stuff I saved, including vises, wrecker spade, deuce soft top frames, CUCV antenna brushguards, Budd wrenches, boarding ladder, tow bar feet and pins, and ambulance IV brackets. Some of this stuff might be listed in the classifieds soon.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan to get them next time soon, I had only so much time to snag stuff this trip, and I wanted to get what I knew I needed or could find homes easily for.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went there last Friday, snagged some more things to save. Looked around the yard and found some things to hit next time too.

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were any of those snatch blocks (especially the double sheave ones) of a fairly small size (like for 5/8 or smaller cable)? I'd be interested in some of the snatch blocks depending on price.

Also, in your first set of pictures (post #5 picture 8 of 10), the photo of the compressors had some grill covers (winterfronts) folded up laying on the compressor tank in front. Do you know what those are for? Those would be a nice score too.

Storm 51

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll check next time I go - I just hope they aren't dry-rotted from outside storage. If they are in good shape, they will go in the truck.

Oh, and they have some of the single-sheave, and double-sheave snatch blocks there. Will ask on pricing, but shipping to you out west is gonna suck.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it will but if they are small enough (no more than 16 inches overall length) they will work for the M-37. I need at least one more single and a double, but if they are cheap enough, two of each would be nice! Depending on what those winterfronts are for, they are nice to have (especially on the east coast). I have 3 for the M-37, but other members of SS might be interested in the ones at Coleman's. Just a suggestion.

Storm 51

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some more pictures I took last time I was there, going through old photos off the camera.

pics 1+2 - pintles of various types, first one is kinda neat, not sure what it fits
pic 3 - stainless parts washer?
pic 4 - dropside tailgates
pic 5 - aircraft fuel drop tanks
pic 6 - vise
pic 7 - scrap pile of stainless steel, MBU diesel burners mixed in
pic 8 - old chainsaw, two man
pic 9 - axle tow straps, some have pins and feet
pic 10 - anyone know what this is? Lots of them in the piles....

Attachments

Last edited:

HFDm715

are you going to pick up all the snatch blocks they have, or did they have alot more than pictured there, I could use a second, and my fire dept needs a couple, but dont want to make the trip out there if they were the only ones left.

Duane

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks