• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trip to Coleman's Surplus in Millersburg, PA. Nov. 23, 2013

Merc1973

Thanks. I'm very excited and it appears i got a heck of a deal! My FIL always asks me, "what are you going to do with it?" I tell him, go get ice cream, tailgate, drive kids around and drive in the largest night time parade in the US, Alsatia Mummers Parade in Hagerstown, MD on Halloween.

The rust is a small problem, but that's comes only second to replacing all fluids and filters, belts, hoses, light bulbs... I will need to accumulate some tools for that: air compressor, needle scaler, cheap 120v Harbor freight mig welder, wire wheels and cutoff wheels for my angle grinder, etching primer paint and a couple gallons of house paint from Home Depot, and lastly TIME.

Next weekend my FIL and I will be recovering it for a 100 mile trip since i have access to some transit plates. I figured i should bring some tools, fluids, light bulbs... I don't even have the correct lug nut wrench/socket to change a tire. I downloaded a checklist list someone posted here. Since there were no signs of leaks, just weeping oil/fluid, i would just bring some Lucas Oil to top off crankcase, axles, TC, and transmission since most guys add it anyways, Oh and also some DOT 5 brake fluid. I also need to make sure to get the temp gauge working and the axle vents functional.

Move it as soon as it's insured. All you need for insurance is the VIN number. (maybe some pictures)

which is that?

IMAG0565_zpsa2293c47.jpg

or

8_12 003.jpg

Last edited:

UNIMOG-GUY

I don't know if you can get one in PA but VA offers a trip permit. You should look into it. It allows you to insure a vehicle and then drive it home even if it is out of state and it makes everything legal. I would also advise that you take a truck instead of a car (if you have one) incase you have to pull it off the road or out of a lane of traffic.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First pic is the engine data plate, second pic is the data plate that is considered the VIN number. That is the number that will be recognized by your insurance co. and DMV. Oh by the way; FIL?

Merc1973

Good deal, glad you got it. More green machines in Maryland. Although I don't claim that side of the bay!!! ha ha!
Thanks. Me either, that's why we're trying to secede and create "Western Maryland" :D

Side note on this recovery:

I plan on replacing fuel filters prior to the 100 mile trip since I will encounter some steep hills from PA and I want all the power i can get. Should I also perform an oil change? The oil level was normal and the usual Black color of diesel oil. It has been sitting since it was purchased from gov liquidation.

Last edited:

jhooah

I'd leave the oil for now, but check clearence on teh lower radiator hose. When they swell they get cut by the belt and dump all the fluid, then it's off to find a Ford 460 upper hose and trim two inches off, then refill the beast. Checking for swelling and clearence willsave a lot of headache.
Nice truck, I couldn't sell mine for $4500 last year (no faults in it, Tan 1970) and I see people asking 8K for some.
Rust on panels is not the same as a pickuptruck, you have a real steel beast now, should just need wirebrushing and rustoleum.
Have fun driving, don't downshift (it's diesel) and leave room for an out incase some SOB in a Honda cuts you off to make a turn in front of you (expect it on a regular basis)
W. Winget
Virginia

Merc1973

I'd leave the oil for now, but check clearence on teh lower radiator hose. When they swell they get cut by the belt and dump all the fluid, then it's off to find a Ford 460 upper hose and trim two inches off, then refill the beast. Checking for swelling and clearence willsave a lot of headache.
Nice truck, I couldn't sell mine for $4500 last year (no faults in it, Tan 1970) and I see people asking 8K for some.
Rust on panels is not the same as a pickuptruck, you have a real steel beast now, should just need wirebrushing and rustoleum.
Have fun driving, don't downshift (it's diesel) and leave room for an out incase some SOB in a Honda cuts you off to make a turn in front of you (expect it on a regular basis)
W. Winget
Virginia

Thanks. The trip went well, i just replaced the primary fuel filter, checked fluids, greased as many zerk fittings as i can see and crossed my fingers. It was a very smooth and uneventful 100 mile ride. More info here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?116507-Merc1973-s-First-Deuce-Build-Thread

DIndFab

I think I was asked by about 12 people at work "what are you going to do with it?" I don't understand how someone can look at a m939 and not immediately have 1000 ideas of things to do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks