• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trouble shifting my M35

I am new to the organization. I bought a M35 truck and I am having trouble shifting it. It will go into reverse and first, however, I can not shift it into 2,3,4, or 5. It slides over in neutral, however, I can not put it into gear. Any help or suggestions you might offer will be greatly appreciated.

Kaiser67M715

My first though is all the syncros are shot, but you can look through the tech manuals and find the part that describes how to pull the top off the shifter, because another possibility is the shift forks are messed up. Either way I would say to pull the top cover is your next step.

Technically you should be able to throw it in any gear without syncros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmetalmiki

As mentioned you should be able to select gears "clutchless". However if you are not conversant with this procedure, remove the top cover and examine for damage or strained parts under there. Also check the engagement movement at that time.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As mentioned you should be able to select gears "clutchless". However if you are not conversant with this procedure, remove the top cover and examine for damage or strained parts under there. Also check the engagement movement at that time.
I agree. Also drain your transmission oil, this will give you a better look at the internals of your transmission with the top cover off, and also look for metal particles in the oil.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The top cover has plugs in the side under which are springs and detent pins or balls that prevent shifting into two gears at once. They engage milled slots in each fork rail. When shifted into one gear, they shift into the detents in the other rails to prevent two-gear engagement. Something might be wrong with them, like rusted in place. If they are not moving correctly they will prevent shifts. Sometimes moisture in the transmission rusts things under the top cover. The rails for the other gears might also be rusted in place in the cover. Even if the synchros were bad it should still move into gear if other problems did not exist. So, pull the cover and check for damage, rust, or detent problems that are inhibiting movement of the rails.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks