• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck Captain of 923A1 New Guy

Stan Brothers

I am a new member to the forum because I was assigned the job of truck captain of a 923A1 1987 American General war machine converted to a brush truck in the volunteer fire service. I received the "promotion" because I am a retired electrical engineer and the company that added all ti 12 volt fire fighting equipment managed to completely ruin the new 4 twelve volt batteries that the chief had bought when we received the surplus units by way of the military.
Anyway I rewired the batteries and re-engineered the electrical side so I was given the mechanical too.
Thanks to the forum and reading many posts I know can say I have everything working or parts on order (windshield washer tank cover has broken plastic connectors-bad design) to make this warrior ready to leave the motor pool and return to service.
We carry two one inch booster reels and a thousand gallons of water with foam and can add 2 1/2 inch line if needed. We can pump and roll from both sides of this machine and can ford 6+ water if needed for rescue (hurricane country)
I must say I enjoy telling folks about this vehicle as it is the only fire service vehicle that can be converted to mount a machine gun if I read the operators manual correctly.
Thanks to all the posts that have helped me fix everything from the transfer case won't shift to frozen blower motor and about 13 other minor problems in between. I am a bit anal about having everything work as designed. (If designed well otherwise an engineering change is called for)
Captain of 129 Tiny-1210

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome Captain! We would love to see a couple pictures of your truck as outfitted, it sounds awesome.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome and enjoy! I've cleared paths/roads (without brush guards) with those, so it'll be awesome as a brush truck! If you maintain it, it'll last a lifetime!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sweet!
Thank you for what you do.

May I ask how you went about powering the 12v stuff? 12v system? Battery equalizer? 24-12v converter that charges a battery?

DETAILS MAN! Haha

tobyS

Welcome StanBro. Since it's a 923, has it been outfitted with PTO hydraulics for the accessories?

I just talked to a Parker Chelsea expert (today) and think I've found a PTO with direct mount pump setup that would be compact and have no turning driveshaft, in case hydraulics are in your future.

Post pictures when you have a chance.

Stan Brothers

I'll post some pictures after the sun comes out. As part of the bargain to get a free truck we had to agree to change the color so it is fire engine red.

Stan Brothers

I bought a converter from Eric Military www.eriksmilitarysyrplus.com for 24 to 12. It is their number ST340 to give me 20 amps to run the radio, fire warning lights, etc. I also install a 12 volt float charger along with the 24 volt float charger and split the 4 batteries up using two in series to run the beast and two 12 volt batteries in parallel to start the water pump and power the two booster reels that hold the hoses. That part has been working well since 2014. We have an automatic power plug ejector that kicks out the AC for the float chargers when you start up and I installed an air pressure port at the low pressure sensor to keep the primary and secondary tanks at 80 psi all the time so there is no delay in starting and leaving the station. Like yes I am going to a fire!

Stan Brothers

Welcome StanBro. Since it's a 923, has it been outfitted with PTO hydraulics for the accessories?

I just talked to a Parker Chelsea expert (today) and think I've found a PTO with direct mount pump setup that would be compact and have no turning driveshaft, in case hydraulics are in your future.

Post pictures when you have a chance.
No PTO and I don't think we will be adding any hydraulics

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks