• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck Tractors are not QUITE Identical to Cargo Trucks

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good thread. I knew the switch on the dash was only for the sending units and the valve is on the floor. There is a blank plate there in my deuce because as you know, they are the same cabs as the 818. I always thought it would be cool to add a secondary tank with quick disconnects that i can put in the back of my deuce and just plug into when i need extra fuel and use that selector valve to switch to that thank. Then when it is not in use, i can switch back to my main tank so it does not fill the engine up with fuel. I think wrecker man ran into that problem when he bobbed a deuce and put the fuel tank in the bed. gravity drains the fuel out and can fill the engine up with fuel. So i think this selector valve would solve all of that. Ok, i got on a tangent there.

I do have a question though, can you switch tanks when the engine is running though? I think that valve is only 2 position, correct? It wouldn't have a center "off" position, correct? an "off" position would not be good when the engine is running and the mechanical boost pump is trying to suck fuel.

ke5eua

Good thread. I knew the switch on the dash was only for the sending units and the valve is on the floor. There is a blank plate there in my deuce because as you know, they are the same cabs as the 818. I always thought it would be cool to add a secondary tank with quick disconnects that i can put in the back of my deuce and just plug into when i need extra fuel and use that selector valve to switch to that thank. Then when it is not in use, i can switch back to my main tank so it does not fill the engine up with fuel. I think wrecker man ran into that problem when he bobbed a deuce and put the fuel tank in the bed. gravity drains the fuel out and can fill the engine up with fuel. So i think this selector valve would solve all of that. Ok, i got on a tangent there.

I do have a question though, can you switch tanks when the engine is running though? I think that valve is only 2 position, correct? It wouldn't have a center "off" position, correct? an "off" position would not be good when the engine is running and the mechanical boost pump is trying to suck fuel.
Switch on the fly, no off position.

mikey

Left and Right tanks only, no "off". Switching tanks can be done while driving with no issue. The only issues appear to be, as other have stated, when the o-ring is damaged from sitting OR if you run a tank dry.

As many of us have learned the hard way, if you run a tank dry, switching tanks alone does not get you going again. You'll find yourself on the side of the road priming the fuel system.

Mikey