• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

True failure rates of the 6CTA8.3L injector pump?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your process is good. Go ahead and break open the injector lines from the injector before you start cranking to see if anything comes out. Even the slightest stream from one injector gives you the indication it could-maybe-possibly-sorta-kinda has a chance to loosen itself up and fire. Tighten up the lines that push fuel and hopefully you can get a few injectors to fire off and help self bleed the system given some run time. 🤞

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think I see a problem already right above the banjo fitting on the lift pump there should be a sensor there or it should be capped off.
I'm not seeing a sensor in the TM (see attached) so not sure what you're referring to. Also, the pic of the motor is a pic I lifted from this forum and not the truck in question. I can't remember which thread I took it from so I can't give them credit.

But I think you just gave me an idea of how to easily attach an external pressurized fuel source. I'm guessing the plug (item #1 in the parts list) is just a 1/8" NPT and I can just screw in a barb fitting there to send pressurized inlet fuel to the IP. That would make troubleshooting so much easier. By the way, I'm also guessing the lift pump has a check valve in it to prevent backflow into the tank...otherwise this won't work without clamping/capping off the inlet.

Attachments

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your process is good. Go ahead and break open the injector lines from the injector before you start cranking to see if anything comes out. Even the slightest stream from one injector gives you the indication it could-maybe-possibly-sorta-kinda has a chance to loosen itself up and fire. Tighten up the lines that push fuel and hopefully you can get a few injectors to fire off and help self bleed the system given some run time. 🤞
That's a good way to start the troubleshooting process. That also brought back some old, but fond, memories as a young kid helping out on the farm. The punishment for us kids running grandpa's tractor out of diesel was that he would loosen the injector lines at the IP and then he would hand us the wrench. He would get back in the seat and cranked the engine to force the air out of the system and eventually start spraying diesel everywhere. Our job was to tighten the injector lines while he cranked to ensure no air got back inside. We usually received a fine coating of diesel in the process. No idea if he needed to crack open the lines that much but it did ensure we kept tabs on how much diesel we had.

Oh, forgot to mention the tractor fuel gage didn't work....just had a short piece of broom stick to dip in the tank to figure out run time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks